What else are these scammers gonna try (LOL)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveNel, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

I just received this in my email. I guess they are trying new things now.. Notice where it says Costomer (LOL)

Dear Washington Mutual costomer,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Washington Mutual Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your acount and of the Washington Mutual network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.
    To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:
    1. Login to your Washington Mutual Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password and fill in all the required information, including your name and account number.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawls or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Washington Mutual staff immediately.
    To get started, please click on the link below:
    https://login.personal.wamu.com/logon/logon.asp?dd=1

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Washington Mutual system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
    Sincerly,
    The Washington Mutual Team

Please do not respond to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For Assistance, log in to your Washington Mutual account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Phishing is nothing new and this particular scam has been around a while. I like the new spelling mistake though.
    http://www.antiphishing.org/phishing...1-05_Wamu.html

Your email is strange in that it appears that the link is the correct one to Washington Mutuals login page - it is encrypted and the SSL Certificate is for Washinton Mutual and the IP address checks out. Of course there may be imbedded crap in the email that you didn't cut and paste into the above.

I'd never follow a bank or other simialr institutions link from an email (paypal, eBay, etc). Just go to their known login page via the normal URL to be safe.

3. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

Yeah I hear that, Someone needs to make a web pole informational site to all this crap these idiots are doing.
    They must be making a heap from it.. Cause I get this crap in my email 20 times a day. And when I am selling something it doubles.. I wonder how many people are not educated to this stuff. Oh well nuff said..

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I've received basically identical messages from several banks (only one of which I do business with), credit card companies, eBay and PayPal.

The message quoted above does have a few refinements, like the text of the link being different than the underlying code. (Sort of like the UBB code that lets us display Washington Mutual instead of www.wamu.com. I happened to see this message this morning when accessing my e-mail via a web interface. When I ran my cursor over the link, IE displayed the actual URL it would have sent me to. I forwarded the message with headers to WaMU. BTW, they have a very good page that discusses phishing, identity theft, how to spot bogus e-mails, etc. There's a link off their home page. Lately I've just been sending that link to people on our network who have questions about getting such messages either at home or at work.

As for what they'll think of next - the latest variation on this that I've seen is an e-mail from Bellsouth that doesn't ask for any information or warn you about service interuptions or provide a link to a page you're supposed to log in to. It just announces a new Bellsouth policy of handling important account and security issues via e-mail "to serve you better." In short, it is a message designed to soften you up for the phishing spam to follow, in case you actually read any of the documents where Bellsouth tells you they'll never ask for account of other personal information via e-mail. Needless to say that one went straight to the internet security guys at Bellsouth. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I had an opposite experience. I received an email from American Express, offering a 20.05% increase in Delta skymiles, if I signed up. Of course, it had a link in the email. When I clicked on the link, it asked for my credit card number, as well as the security code (AMX has a security code on the front of the card).

I decided to call Amx, so I called the number on my card. I asked the Amx rep if this was real, and they said yes, it was a legitimate email, and that they need the card number and security code to sign me up. Of course, I told them how idiotic it was, and that they were encouraging people to fall for phishing attacks. She didn't care.

So, I wrote an email to AMX, including the story, and their own webpage where the warn against phishing. So far, I've received no response.

6. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

An interesting one hit my inbox this morning. It had Mcafee headers and warned of a new virus. It informed you that you had to open the attachment for more details (like that's gonna happen [​IMG] ). It's amazing how creative people can get using their destructive potential. If only we could use our constructive abilities as creatively.

Kenneth

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Speaking of fake links, there was a bug discovered in IE recently where a page could show a different URL in the address window than what was actually loaded in the browser. That would have been pretty useful for these scammers... however, I think that bug has been fixed now.

/Mike

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Common sense and slight paranoia should keep people from going to these links and giving away their information (or so you'd think). Some of the questions should raise an obvious red flag such as "what is the pin number to your atm card?", "your password for your email address?", and other such nonsense. To a certain point I don't feel sorry for the victims but I do wish that the perps of this crime be executed or at least sterilized as a warning to others.[​IMG]