What effect power consumption if any?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by WaltV, Jan 27, 2005.

1. WaltV

WaltV Extra

While obsessing over my latest purchase, an H/K AVR330, I noticed a large variation in the "power consumption" numbers of the models of receiver I considered purchasing.

For the Pioneer VSX-D912, 280 watts.

Onkyo TX-SR502, 370 watts.

And the H/K, 890 watts.

Now, this is power consumption watts, not, I'm assuming, anything to do with the watts per channel, (since the H/K has the lowest advertised watts per channel).

What effect, if any, does higher power consumption have over lower power consumption? Or, why are the numbers so different? Just wondering.

Thanks for the input.

Walt

2. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Taking the watt consumption numbers and dividing by the number of channels will give you a rough idea of how much juice a receiver will put out, but it's not exact. HK rates their receivers very conservatively, often putting out more watts per channel than advertised. Most manufacturers overstate this figure by a large amount.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Power consumption is not directly realted to power output, but close. Depending on how much power the electronics need, and the efficiency of the amp stages, but you can figure that the pio will put out less than 50 watts per channel, the Onkyo less than 70.

So next you are going to ask if the H/K puts out 178 watts per channel. Probably not. The H/Ks amps are probably much less effiecient (which is usually a good thing, but that goes deep into amplifier classes, lets just say that less efficient amp usually have less distortion)

4. WaltV

WaltV Extra

Thanks for the comments! I'm just trying to justify the purchase. All three seem decent.

Regarding distortion, do you mean Total Harmonic Distortion? Because on that count, the H/K is a little better too: .07 to the Onkyo .08 and the Pioneer 1.0.

I'm feeling better about the purchase all the time... [​IMG]

Walt