What's new

What DVD's offer Digital Copy? (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
Does anyone know which DVD's (current and future) are offering Digital Copy?

And have you used it, and your feelings about it?

Thanks Jack

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The list is quite large, probably over 100 titles, and it varies widely by implementation. Some offer digital copies on-disc. Some offer digital copies available for download. Some offer digital copies available for download at a reduced fee. Some offer digital copies that are compatible with iTunes. Warner/New Line has done all of those, although to date, the only iTunes compatible digital copy Warner has offered is exclusive to the Speed Racer Blu-Ray release.

I have little use for them unless they are iTunes friendly, in which case I use them as a portable SD version of the movie. One exception is being discussed in the review thread for The New World Extended Cut DVD. For that film, the digital download is a third unique version of the film representative of its initial Oscar-qualifying theatrical premiere before it was further trimmed for wide release.

Regards,

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
In regards to Digital Copy, I really like them as long as they are compatable with iTunes software, since I have an iPod. I have no problem taking those movies with me whereever I go. So far, I only have Juno and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, although I do plan to get The Bank Job at some point too as well.

Regarding studio's positions on it, no one has mentioned Sony yet, which has so far only offered Digital copy for the PC, Playstation 3, and PSP systems. If the Pineapple Express press release is correct though, that will be their first iTunes compatable digital copy, which means that will be on my iPod when it comes out.

I like the Digital Copy format though. However, if you don't have an iPod though, it is kind of worthless (unless you watch movies on your PC of course).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Warners has there first couple of SD DVDs w/ iTunes compatible digital copy coming in the next couple of weeks: the 2-disc SEs of Get Smart and Star Wars: Clone Wars.

Regards,

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
The four movie set of Rambo included a digital copy of the last film for use on your iPod...as did the three-disc copy of Incredible Hulk (the Edward Norton film).

Those are the only two I have so far, but I really like the fact that I have my entire music library as well as a bunch of trailers and a couple of films on my iPod Classic! And I still have tons of room!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks