What DVD's (if any) have genuine DIRECTIONAL DIALOG?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Many of the early Fox CinemaScope releases had, not only stereophonic sound, but directional dialog. Other widescreen releases utilized this as well. Laser discs often retained this, but when the Dolby Police got hold of them for DVD release, they threw all the dialog to the front center. Oddly, though, sound effects remain directionalized. The powers that be said they did not use the directional dialog because it is too distracting for most people, especially those with small t.v.s and crappy sound systems. But people are buying bigger sets and sound systems are better than ever, so why can't we get some of these tracks back, at least as an audio option?

What, if any, currently available DVD's managed to come out with genuine directional dialog? Anyone have any?

Personally, I love the format and hope it will be revived.

2. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Apparently the Lion King has a new mix like this. I have heard the same of "Holes", though I cannot personaly confirm either.

I agree with you, the pracic of putting all the dialog in the center regardless of what is going on onscreen is silly.

3. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

The dialogue in the Toy Story movies follow the character's onscreen positions very closely. A character positioned halfway between the centre and right side, for instance, will have his or her dialogue mixed accordingly to both the centre and right front channel.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Rugrats The Movie had dialogue moving from centre to left and/or right and also to the one of the surrounds as well. A Bug's Life also had some of this as well.

5. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

How's a-bout DragonHeart

Draco flies around your head, talking the whole time

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I would like to see this thread become an ongoing list of DVDs that featuure directional dialog. Anyone care to volunteer to maintain the list?

7. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I haven't watched it in a little while, but I believe the DVD release of The Sound of Music has directional dialog.

Matt

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm pretty sure that the Superbit Lawrence of Arabia has directional dialogue.

9. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    It's films from the '50s, mainly from Fox, that had extreme directional dialogue. It's been preserved particularly well in the DVD of "Love is a Many Splendored Thing". Other examples on DVD are "The Robe", "Anastasia" and "The Man from Laramie". There are lots more I have but I would need to listen again to make sure.

10. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Jim: Yes, the DRAGONHEART sequence you mention has awesome surround effects. But that is the only part of the movie to do this. I'd like to amass responses to this thread which contain titles the poster is certain have consistent directional effects throughout. THE SOUND OF MUSIC did have this on the initial laser release, I believe; but again, for the DVD I think all but a few moments tunnel the dialog front and center. Some that did on laser (I do not know about the DVD's): CLEOPATRA; IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD; HOW THE WEST WAS WON; BECKET; and a few others.

11. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Logan's Run (1976) retains the full directional dialog of the theatrical release.

Rollerball (1975) does not.

12. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    The Indiana Jones DVD's retain directional dialog where it was originally used. It's not constant, but directional dialog was scattered throughout the three movies and where I remember them, it is retained.

"Star Trek The Motion Picture" lost some of it's discrete dialog on the DVD. The glaring moment is when Spock first comes on board the Enterprise. There is a shot of Kirk looking surprised, and from the widescreen laserdisc, off-screen Sulu comes out of the left channel (he's off-screen left even in widescreen) saying: "Why, it's Mister..." and Kirk finishes in center: "...Spock!". On the DVD, all that dialog is centered now.

Joel

13. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

I just watched The Wild Bunch using headphones and it has a good share of logically directional dialogue and music.

14. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I thought the original post was mainly asking for titles from the 1950s which used directional dialogue. None of the titles referred to here from the '60s onwards such as the Indiana Jones or Star Trek films had constant extreme directional dialogue as did those early Cinemascope films. Listen to an early Fox '50s stereo film to hear the difference. It's also quite common for modern films to have a character's voice coming from the side or even the surround when not on screen but that is quite different to directional sound following a character across the screen.

15. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I remember reading about how Spartacus had the voices of off-screen characters coming from the surround speakers. Audiences weren't very enthusiastic about the concept because it is quite distracting when the location of a person's voice moves to match the camera's point of view during a single scene.

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Especially in a shot/reverse shot sequence—the location changed with every visual switch, something that most of the audiences rejected. I fully expect that audiences would do so today as well—surely one reason why most dialogue (except for offscreen dialogue, which has already been noted) comes from the center channel.

17. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Where is Joe Caps when we need him ? This topic is right up his alley.

18. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

The dialog in Journey to the Center of the Earth sounds like it was recorded with three mikes on the set. It seems like a failed experiment to me.

19. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Personally, since I am without a projector and screen, which means I don't have speakers behind the screen but to the sides of my television, I'm not that big on directional dialogue. The few that have it, most of the PIxar films I think, are distracting. They do their best by trying to place it between the center and L or R speakers, but it still pulls the sound away from the TV. I think that's why dolby likes to anchor dialogue in the center, and I can't say I blame them.

20. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

Try directional dialog with headphones just once; you'll never want to do so again. It creates a sort of simulated vertigo.