What DVD's have commentary or features about the Music Score?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm trying to get a DVD for my brother that has some good stuff about the score, or the composer, or something. He's going into that in school and would love it.

I already know a couple, but I'm sure there are some I've missed. Gladiator and Frequency both did, and he liked both of those. Anything by James Horner, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, etc. are especially good.

2. Anton Ruzic

Anton Ruzic Stunt Coordinator

Jerry Goldsmith contributed commentary segments for "The Hollow Man" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition" DVD's.

Anton

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Danny Elfman on Edward Scissorhands and Pee Wee's Big Adventure discusses the score in between music cues on the isolated music track.

Also, Howard Shore on the Se7en Platinum Edition does the same thing.

4. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

The matrix also has an isolated score with commentary from the composer.

The 6th day had such a commentary for the R2 SE as well, I actually am not sure if the R1 has got it as well, but I think so.

5. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    If I remember correctly, Pleasantville has a full length commentary that is JUST about the score, with Randy Newman interspersed with his music.

I remember thinking how terrific it was.

6. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

Add Lord of Illusions to the list- A pretty good one too.

BTW, I just read something interesting. ALot of isolated scores have commentaries that run over the music. Apparently, this is done on purpose, as requested by whichever music label is putting out the soundtrack.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Alexander Nevsky (one of the films in Criterion's Eisenstein boxset) includes a multimedia essay on Prokofiev's score and collaboration with Eisenstein.

The Passion of Joan of Arc includes Richard Einhorn's brilliant oratorio (essentially no different than a traditional score) plus the libretto and a written essay ont the score, plus a documentary on the production (writing, arranging, selecting voices and other orchestration). Fascinating and fairly in-depth.

The Last Temptation of Christ includes a documentary/interview with Peter Gabriel. Also, there's a gallery of stills depicting the instruments used in the arrangements.

Also, one of the features on the second disc of 8-1/2 is an hour long documentary on the great Nino Rota called "Between Cinema and Concert".

8. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure that there was a commentary by Trevor rabin on the R1 6th Day dvd

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

The commentary for "Songcatcher" talks more about the music than it does about the movie. There are also several extended versions of some of the song excerpts in the movie, as well as brief interviews with some of the actors in the movie which focus on the music. I wished that the interview segments were longer, as several of the artists seem quite knowledgeable about the music.

All in all, it's a very enjoyable movie with a lot of great music (especially if you enjoy music of the Appalachian region).

Steve K.

10. Brian Blizzard

Brian Blizzard Auditioning

11. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

"Ravenous" has a commentary track by Damon Albarn (of Blur) who worked on the music.

12. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure the DVD of the original Rush Hour has an isolated score with comments by the composer. Don't quote me on that, as I have not looked at the disc in a very long time.

Happy holidays everyone!

Derek

13. Alphonse Brown

Alphonse Brown Stunt Coordinator

There is a good interview with James Horner on the Field of Dreams DVD.

14. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Did THE SWEET HEREAFTER have a composer commentary or am I imagining things?

15. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

On the newest version of Fly Away Home there is an isolated soundtrack with comments from the composer, Mark Isham. Unfortuneately, he talks over a lot of the music. I would have preferred he let all the cues play and he talk in between. It is the best thing we will have as far as a soundtrack to this movie. None was released commercially.

16. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

The Omen has a Jerry Goldsmith interview and some other score info.

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Yep, The 6th Day (original R1 edition) does have a Trevor Rabin commentary. I assume the upcoming SE has it as well, but I don't know for sure.

18. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

My favorite is TITUS with Eliot Goldenthal's score and commentary.

19. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Thank you all.

That link that Brian Blizzard posted was an especially great help.

I'm deciding between Superman, Edward Scissorhands, and Apollo 13. Superman has an isolated track by John Williams, and I'm leaning toward that one.