What's new

What DVDs did you get this week? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that there isn't an ongoing, or new thread each week for what DVDs we all got this week - not pre-ordered, what you actually bought from a store or recieved in the mail. The main reason this would be a good idea is that there are many great DVDs that slip under our radars, and by reading what each of us got each week, we avoid overlooking DVDs of films we wan to check out? Does that make sense? I think it would be a good idea.

Region 1 titles this week (monday to sunday):

Dead And Buried
Destiny Of A Man
Riding The Rails

Region 2 titles this week (monday to sunday):

Citizen Kane: Special Edition
A Touch Of Zen
(2.35:1 anamorphic! Okay transfer)

Thanks for reading. :)

Gordy

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Also, threads like this should be over in the "Polls" area, so you shouldn't see any here anyway. ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Um, because it's a poll?
how can you 'vote' for the dvds you already bought, the purchase is done. if you were going to vote on the best dvds to buy in the week, it would be a poll. this isnt. and i bought strangers with candy, first season.

CJ

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Um, because it's a poll?
"POLL" =

>>>> "A questioning or canvassing of persons selected at random or by quota to obtain information or opinions to be analyzed." -- Merriam-Webster's (Tenth Edition) :)

Yep...this is a poll by the above definition.

However, one could argue that this thread does not fit the "traditional" meaning of "Poll", where there's "check" boxes at the beginning of the thread, having members "vote" on certain things.

Mister Cochran .... Your witness. :)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I don't really consider it a poll when the purpose of this thread is to submit the names of DVD's we've purchased from week to week. A poll is where you pick one out of a set number of pre-selected options. I don't see that happening here.

BTW, only DVD I purchased this week was "Kangaroo Jack". Hilarious movie in my opinion.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I'll play along. This week I bought:
Gangs of New York
The Warriors
The Curse of Frankenstein
13 Ghosts (1960)
Jeremiah Johnson
Road to Perdition
Catch Me if you can
Empire Records Remix
20 million miles to Earth
Godzilla King of all monsters
Destroy all Monsters
House on Haunted Hill(1959)
Angry Red Planet
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
Dances with wolves
Gods and Generals
Lost in Space
Clerks
Mallrats
Mad Max
Miller's Crossing
Resevoir Dogs

It was a busy week :D

Todd

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I'm baffled by the insistence that this should be a poll.

This to me suggests everyone's purchases are going to be the same or similar that it's going to be a measure of the popularity of the latest discs.

Human nature to me suggests otherwise ; first not everyone is going to get the same movies and not everyone has been been collecting DVDs for years and is going to buy the latest titles people might have a backlog of favourites they want to pick up. Some people might not be interested in the latest titles.

I'm sure we've all went into a store or went online all set to buy something but at the last moment changed our mind and ended up getting something else. Actually I thought Gordon's idea was quite good. Posting what you've purchased weekly or on a regular basis could be interesting not just because you can say what you think of your purchase : transfer quality etc but others can chime in with their experiences of the discs too.

By the way today Monday 28th July 2003 I purchased these DVDs :

Foreign Correspondent (1940) (R2) : seems an OK transfer if a bit grainy.
Dr Strangelove CE (1964) : looks like some interesting extras here concerning the early career of Kubrick.

As you can see these are hardly the latest releases !

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I have Solaris and May in the mail. I bought May on recommendation from a couple of people over in the Movies area, it hasn't been released here yet and i'm dying to see it.

Can't wait to give Solaris a spin, I loved it in the theatres - right up there with Soderbergh's best.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Can I respond even if my purchases were not on DVD but VHS tape!? :eek:

I purchased:

Something About Mary

Daredevil

Phone Booth

all on D-Theater Hi Def tape.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I can tell you what I did NOT get.

Versus 2 Disk Special Edition and Jesse James meets the Daughter of Frankenstein.

Versus was pushed back until 8/19 and JJmtDoF was delayed indefinitely.

I may go buy Daredevil tomorrow however.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
OK, I guess I'll play. I buy all my DVDs online, so in the last week I've received:

Miller's Crossing (Coen/1990/Fox)
Fanny and Alexander (Bergman/1982/Artificial Eye/R2 PAL UK)
Un Chant d'amour (Genet/1950/bfi/R2 PAL UK)
Secrets & Lies (Leigh/1996/FilmFour/R2 PAL UK)
The Apu Trilogy: Pather Panchali/Aparajito/World of Apu (Satyajit Ray/1955,57,59/Artificial Eye/R2 PAL UK)
Charade (Donen/1963/Criterion) OOP from Ebay
How Green Was My Valley (Ford/1941/Fox)

BTW, for the all-region capable: I watched Fanny and Alexander and The Apu Trilogy over the weekend, and believe they are two of the great masterpieces of cinema. Neither set is "reference-quality"--the Ray films in particular have numerous print flaws (the original negatives for all three films were lost in a fire). Still, for those who appreciate great film, I can't recommend these highly enough.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just ordered, from amazon, Warner's trio of 8-5-03 Horror titles:

House of Wax
The Haunting
The Thing from Another World

I'm still thinking if I should go ahead and order Casablanca: SE and/or Rocky & Bullwinkle Vol. 1.

Also pending pre-orders are Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit and the Warner Legends box set.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"POLL" = "A questioning or canvassing of persons selected at random or by quota to obtain information or opinions to be analyzed." -- Merriam-Webster's

ok by the above definition, the entire home theater forum belongs in the poll section.
Good point. EVERY thread is designed to glean/obtain information.

Robin...To the Bat-"Polls"!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
these just came in today

Dark City
Jaws: DTS
Blade Runner
Rabbit Proof Fence
Bye, Bye Birdie
The Man Who Wasn't There

i should also be getting

The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean
and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea tomorrow

with Soaris and Dead & Buried on pre-order.

except for D&B, all the rest came to about $7 each with tax & shipping :)

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
My DVDSOON order came in with:

Punch Drunk Love
Cold Comfort Farm
42 Up

Apparently my DVD Planet order with a bunch of Criterion discs has shipped, but I guess I'll wait until that arrives...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks