What's new

What DVDs are we likely to see next year? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No word on those last two, sorry. Magnum PI is in with Universal's "lost 7" that were announced for 2003 release in August 2002, and then never heard from again. And I'd kill for V: The Series...let's see if the reunion miniseries really gets produced. :)

JonZ, your post lists several things that will actually hit in 2003, which I avoided mentioning. M...wC, GI Joe, and even films like Seabiscuit. Other things, like Batman: TAS, are by no means a lock...at least not that I've heard. And I strongly doubt we'd ever see season sets of Jackass; have you heard something that I would find more unbelievable than the "My Big Fat Greek Life" announcement? :eek:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you know that Universal who owns them in the UK are releasing some Fred and Ginger, the Marx Brothers and Bringing Up Baby this year ? I don't think they will be fully restored versions but it will be interesting to see.
Possible bad news; the Marx Brothers box set, plus the others recently announced by Universal in R2, will be Laureate productions as detailed here .

Their output has been a little, er, erratic to say the least.

---
So many films, so little time...

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
If the Goodfellas SE makes it out in 2004, everything else will just be gravy for me.

-Reagan

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
A few things there arent "locks" but should appear next year.The thread does say "likely" to see next year.

Regarding Batman TAS - There was a thread here about a month ago about WB finally listening and saying they were going ahead with sets and they are going to working out hte details as we speak.

Some of those choices "should" happen in 2004 - 12 Monkeys UE,Millennium,Planet of the Apes remasters,Strange Days SE,Ed Wood,etc but none are "complete locks" as far as Im aware. Some seem like theyve been in the planning stage forever (Black Rain SE for example)

Most Ive seen on different sites. I visit so many, its hard to remember what I got from where.Those just stuck out in my head.

I did see Jackass on a "2004 TBA" list - I dont remember where.

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hoping for ED WOOD, i saw it was on someone's list above. Does anyone know when???

Brice

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
"The Sting" (WS and a possible SE) and "The Deer Hunter" (an SE and with improved picture quality, already available in R2) would top my 2004 wish list...unless anyone knows anything about a late-2003 R1 release date for either...

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
A whole lot of rumors and expected titles that I'd personally love here... Plus lots more of the great TV series that I've been loving lately (6FU, QAF, ER, Mr. Show, Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, anything PBS Gold documentary)

Schindler's List: SE
Lilo and Stitch: SE
Alice in Wonderland: SE
Mary Poppins: SE
Aladdin: Platinum Series
Alien Quadrilogy
Ed Wood: SE
Greed: Criterion Collection
True Lies: SE
Raising Arizona: SE
Goodfellas: SE
Iron Giant: SE
Bringing Up Baby
King Kong (1933)
Dial M for Murder
Magnificent Ambersons
Wyatt Earp: SE
Titanic: SE
Batman: SE
Batman Returns: SE
Blazing Saddles: Special Edition
Best of U2: 1980-1990
Raging Bull: SE
Shawshank Redemption: SE
ST-Voyager: Series Box Sets

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to the 4 double-disc Disney Special Editions we know about, Aladdin, NewsRadio, more Simpsons, SBTB.

Also hoping for Wonder Years & Home Alone SE.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Yes John,Laureate's stuff has been erratic but the poor ones have generally been the public domain titles like Royal Wedding (like most pressings of this title a pretty poor print)and even those had quite good extras and some can also be got very cheaply now. The other week I bought their version of Frank Sinatra's Suddennly for £4.49 !

These boxsets are actually Universal UK discs farmed out to Laureate to produce probably in a similar fashion to the recent Citizen Kane SE. The transfers might not be pristine but even if they use the same ones as the old OOP Marx Brothers set at least the films will be available again.

Also the first appearance of Fred and Ginger and Bringing Up Baby on an English language DVD in the UK is worth celebrating while Warner doesn't seem to be in a hurry to release these titles.

A more serious deal breaker for me than transfer quality is the fact that it looks so far at least that you will only be able to buy these in expensive boxsets rather than individually.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If, in fact, GONE WITH THE WIND does receive a 2-3 disc special edition, I certainly hope the set will include the wonderful two-hour documentary, THE MAKING OF GONE WITH THE WIND. Aside from that, I suspect we'll see at least a few of the following:

THE INNOCENTS
BURN WITCH BURN
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
BECKET (Restored....?)
HOUSE OF DRACULA
INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN
Universal Hammer Titles
PARENTHOOD (OAR)
THE STING (OAR)
RAGTIME
Jerry Lewis titles
W.C. Fields titles
James Cagney titles
Marx Brothers Titles
THE FLY (1986) S.E.
KAGEMUSHA
EL NORTE (I hope!)
VILLAGE/CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
A few things there arent "locks" but should appear next year.The thread does say "likely" to see next year.

Regarding Batman TAS - There was a thread here about a month ago about WB finally listening and saying they were going ahead with sets and they are going to working out hte details as we speak.
Understood about why you included that stuff, then. About TAS...you're right, I forgot. I still wasn't hitting on all four cylinders at the time! :D

Mickey P

Agent
Wyatt Earp. Ive been waiting for this for 6 years....hopefully my wait is nearing the end!!

Bewitched TV series. Id love to have all the seasons of that show. I had such a crush on Elizabeth Montgomery!! Still do actually. My wife wonders how I can have a crush on a dead woman? Its too bad she had to leave us so young!!

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
No lock on Shawshank:SE yet unfortunately, but it keeps swirling in the rumor mill, so I keep it on my prospective releases listing... Wish I could say otherwise... And trust me, props to Mr. Lambert, I'll be dancing naked that day....

:D

Brad M

Second Unit
I feel the need, the need for Top Gun: The Special Edition.

And I think we are due for another T2 release. :D

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'm sure we'll be getting yet another special edition of EVIL DEAD 2 and/or ARMY OF DARKNESS next year too :)

Philip Swan

Auditioning
Hopefullly we'll be seeing some of the Astaire/Rogers musicals in 2004/2005 - as with KING KONG, apparently a lot of digital restoration is necessary on the RKO film library.
OUT OF THE PAST (1947) is another RKO classic I'd like to see issued on DVD with some special features - Jane Greer is absolutely brilliant in this, her performance the equal of any Oscar-nominated one that year - but B films didn't usually get Oscar consideration.
The new CASABLANCA special edition from WB is gorgeous - the film looks like it was made yesterday.
Has anyone checked out WB's recent issue of HOUSE OF WAX (1953) paired with the original film of which it's a remake, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1933)? I was really pleased with this combo idea. However, the 1933 film was made in two-color Technicolor which only registered shades of red & green - to my horror I realized that in doing the DVD transfer they'd actually changed the color of Fay Wray's dress in one scene from green to BLUE!!! I even checked it out against my VHS tape. BLUE!!! A color which DID NOT register in the 2-color process! I'm really kind of disturbed about this - I don't consider it restoration or enhancement - I consider it TAMPERING!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks