What DVD to rent that would help improve PQ

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob White, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

I don't want to spend the money for Avia right now. Last time I needed it, I had NetFlix and so I rented it, but I don't have NetFlix anymore.

I'm wondering if you know of any DVD's that I could rent that would have some basic tests along the lines of Avia.

If anyone in Richmond, VA has Avia, I'd rent it this weekend for $10 (if you still have the filters). I live by Short Pump.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Rob White

By the way, I've already called Blockbuster and Hollywood Video to see if they rent Avia.

Also, if I can't get my hands on some tests, are there some basic steps that I can take to get a good picture? I've got a new Samsung LCD.

Thanks,
    Rob

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Use the THX optimizer. Its on Finding Nemo and Pirates of The Caribbean.. every THX film actually. Im sure you own one of those.

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Your equipment list is impressive. Especially the Xbox 360.

You can't spend $40 on Avia??

Does not make sense [​IMG].

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

How about $16.25 (including shipping) on Digital Video Essentials (at Overstock.com?) [​IMG]

Since you'll probably want to recalibrate at least once a year (every six months would be better) even Avia makes more sense as s purchase than as a rental.

Regards,

Joe

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

"Your equipment list is impressive. Especially the Xbox 360.

You can't spend $40 on Avia??

Does not make sense ."

Good point. Considering I own Avia and I only make $8.60 an hour. Your TV cost as much as my whole setup. Buy the DVD!

7. Rob White

Wow guys. Didn't think that my spending choices were going to be the focal point. What do you guys drink at lunch? I choose tap water. But when it comes to tipping at a restaurant I usually over-tip. We all make choices of when and where to splurge. I never really thought about using an Avia disk more than once.... guess I missed the boat on that. I used it about 5 years ago on a new tv and haven't really thought of it sense.

Thanks to Joseph for the Overstock.com price for Video Essentials. I've read a few places that folks seem to like Avia better and the best price I could find was around $35 on ebay.

I'll think about buying, but it the meantime I'll try to find ways to save money for the great waiters and waitresses out there.

Thanks to y'all,
    Rob

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Try Amazon.

$36.99

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    TV settings tend to "drift" over time for various reasons. (The effects of heat, light, vibration, components aging, etc.) This may be truer of CRT than of some of the solid state technologies, but periodic tweaks are probably still in order.

I've had a CRT RPTV for the past ten years or so, and used both Avia and DE to calibrate it. For the past three years my HT has mostly been in mothballs (I ended up moving three times in that period - long, boring story.) Now I'm finally settling into my most recent place, upgrading some HT pieces, and unpacking others. I've also added TVs (27" and 32" LCD panels) to the bedroom and home office, and will probably add mini HTs in those rooms as well. (Especially as I continue to upgrade components in the main living room HT.) I've just used DDE to calibrate my new JVC D-ILA and the two LCD HDTVs. (Although I still have a couple of inputs to calibrate on the JVC.)

A lot of people seem to find Avia's interface and presentation easier to follow than DE or Digital DE, but I actually found it a little more cumbersome. Maybe having used DE first got me used to their way of doing things. I rented Avia from Netflix, since I already owned DE, and it has been several years since I played with it. In one or another of my moves I managed to misplace my copy of DE, but I wanted to upgrade to the newer Digital DE anyway, and it was cheap enough on Overstock. I like the fact that the new version comes with a three-color gel card, unlike the blue-only filter of the earlier edition or what I recall were the separate filters included with Avia.

Audio components are also subject to change, not mention the effect that moving, adding or removing furniture from room can have on sound. For all these reasons it is a good idea to recalibrate from time to time. As someone once put it, "If you wish to keep the white fence white the last thing you can do is leave it alone. Do that and you'll soon have a grey fence. If you want a white fence you'll have to wash it often and paint it at intervals."

All the really worthwhile things in life - a career, marriage, kids, home theater - end up being chores as well as pleasures to one degree or another. Even fun requires work if it is be enjoyed properly. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe