What DVD Recorder works for me?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KevinAl, Jan 26, 2006.

1. KevinAl

KevinAl Auditioning

Nov 27, 2004

I am looking to purchase a DVD Recorder and I'm not quite sure what would work best with the equipment that I have.
    Optoma H30 Projector
    Harman/Kardon AVR 435 - Receiver
    Harman/Kardon DVD31 - DVD Player
    Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 - PVR

The PVR is courtesy of Charter Communications, my cable provider. Here's the deal, at the end of a PVR'd program, it will give you the option to "Copy To VCR". If you had a DVD Recorder, wouldn't that be the same? And further, if I were using DVD/RW, I could record and erase if needed. I don't even own a VCR tape anymore, so the combo units really are of no interest. Another concern I've read about is when recording onto the VCR Recorder OR DVD Recorder that some shows may have copyrights that would prevent it from being recorded. And lastly, I've been hearing some buzz about adding these HD Up-Converters? Spelling? Anyway, taking ED and turning it into HD. Is there such a device or is this kind of like the whole Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy thing?

Any and all help would be appreciated. For all I know, I may need to tackle this from a whole different direction! Bottom line: I want to keep all of my favorite shows on one disc, without commercials!

**You don't have to "Sugar Coat" it if I'm way off track here! Give it to me strait ~ I can take it and won't be offended ~ I'm just trying to find the best way to accomplish this**
  2. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Dec 31, 2004
    Get an HD TIVO. Cost is minimal, performance is awesome, and you can download to DVD or VCR anytime you wish. There are hacks to allow downloading to computer hard drive if you are so inclined.

These HD TIVO's are so easy to use and perform so well, I don't believe there is another component you can put in your system that is as good a bargain. Direct TV and cable companies offer very attractive packages. Don't settle for anything but genuine TIVO, though. The others are not very user friendly.

Good Luck!!
  3. Anny

Anny Auditioning

Jan 29, 2006
    tried searching for HD TIVO.... i think HD TiVo Series 3 is a good option ...i found some good reviews about it may be u will like to read it.....oops!!! they r not allowing to post the uRl then all i could say is check this search engine inods...enter HD TIVO.....If u r interested in reading some good reviews.....also check out pvrblog....