What's new

What DVD player will match up w/ Tosh. 50H81? (1 Viewer)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Looking for a DVD that will match up with the capabilities of a:

Toshiba 50H81

Toshiba M-735 VCR

I want to record DVD's to VHS tapes when the need arises.

Is this possible in the $300 range?

TIA,

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba SD-4700 looks great on my 50HX81 and you can find it for around $200 - $225. I can't comment on the recording to VCR from DVD, as it is a forbidden topic here at the HTF.

Steve

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I suspect Steve is referring to this part of the forum rules:
11. Home Theater Forum has a strict anti-bootleg policy. Any discussion pertaining to copying of ANY video or audio source, defeating of copy protection in any form, or how to obtain related equipment is forbidden. In addition, the discussion of bootleg material is prohibited in this forum in any form. Such posts will be deleted automatically without explanation.
No-one is to post any information to this forum on how or where to obtain illegal video product that is considered bootlegged/pirated. Furthermore, no-one is to post information to this forum that gives specific instructions on making illegal video copies to any audio & video format.
Discussions of certain forms of legal copying are permitted, but the tricky part is that most DVDs use Macrovision and can't be copied to videotape without defeating the copy protection -- and that's the part that implicates the forum rule.
As for your original question, there's really no special need to "match" a DVD player to a particular display. The important thing is to get a reliable player with the features you want. At today's prices, that should certainly be possible for under $300.
M.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Sorry, I thought all this "copying mess" was settled awhile back with the estimated "lost dollars" coming from the price of the DVD/Tapes/CD's and players. Does anybody really believe that it should cost $12+ for a CD? (greed)

I didn't intend on reselling anything, just personal use, cause I didn't want to buy 4 DVD players, already have 6 VCR's, so "bootleg" was a harsh way of puttin it.

Just my $1.4cts. after taxes.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Maybe I should ask "which DVD players don't have macrovision".
I don't think it's a function of the DVD player. As I understand it, the Macrovision signal is encoded on the DVD and it's a question of what the VCR does when it detects the Macrovision signal.

I have no doubt that your motives are entirely innocent. The fact remains that the studios have gone to great lengths to make it hard to copy DVDs, even for archival purposes. Regardless of whether one thinks that's right or wrong, the HTF has been fortunate enough to attract participation from some of the major studios, and we're not about to jeopardize that by debating their copy protection measures or allowing discussion of how to defeat them. Please don't pursue this direction. Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Question is, why would one want to copy the superior images from a superior format (DVD-Video) to an inherently low-res format (standard VHS) in the first place?

Also, what Michael said about "matching" a DVD player to your widescreen Tosh is correct: just find the one you prefer--though I might suggest you make sure the unit is a progressive-scan player.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Jack, if the 50h81 has 3:2 pulldown (and I think it does) do we really need a progressive player?

Thanks,

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
if the 50h81 has 3:2 pulldown (and I think it does) do we really need a progressive player?
Need? No. Want? At today's prices, yes.

A good progressive player does 3:2 pulldown detection and inverse telecine entirely in the digital domain. A set's line doubler does it after two additional stages of digital/analog conversion. The player will do a better job, although the differences are narrowing as built-in line doubling circuitry improves.

M.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. And the Sony DVP-S700N does this job admirably--at an MSRP of only $299 (street prices much lower). This player has been raved about in the home-theater press.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks