What's new

What DVD player under $1000 has the best quality audio CD playback? (1 Viewer)

Serge Ch

Agent
What DVD player under $1000 has the best quality audio CD playback on your opinion? Would it be one of the universal SACD/DVD-A players?

I know the sound quality is subjective, but since I have no access to the majority of the players I wonder if you guys could share your experiences.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
how about getting a Panny RP82 from ebay for ~$300 and then spending $700 on a dedicated CD player? you'll get much better quality on both ends of the spectrum that way.

Serge Ch

Agent
Thanks Thomas,

I wanted to limit number of separates. Originally I wanted small all-in-one system with bookshelf speakers. Now I evolutioned into HK7000 begemoth receiver (I skept prepro and ampl.) and floorstanding Studio 60 speakers.

I also want DVD, SACD, DVD-A, CD and mp3 players (some music I listen available only in mp3 format). Oh yea, I would hope one of them or some to be changers. So as you can see the number of components could grow. So I wanted some type of universal approach.

I still would consider getting standalone $700 CD player if the sound quality of that CD player is way-way better then $1000 universal player. Then I would may be get $700 CD player and $350 Pioneer 45A universal player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

Not a bad suggestion.

Serge,

Take a look at the Sony DVP-NS999ES. It doesn't play DVD-Audio discs, but it is a good DVD, SACD, and CD player. It retails for $1200, but should be available for around $1000 through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). All three are authorized dealers. For more on the 'NS999ES, go to www.crutchfield.com .

Also look at the Rotel RDV-1080 DVD-Audio player. It's been out for awhile, but you still may be able to find it. Note that it doesn't play SACDs, but it is a good CD player.

The Yamaha DV-S2300 universal player has gotten high marks here overall. Do a search here for more information.

Denon will be releasing the DV-2900 universal player for $1000 later this year. It might be the ticket in terms of CD playback (and everything else).

I'm not sure if any of these DVD players will perform as well as a $700 dedicated CD player. In that price range, you are looking at the Arcam DiVA CD72T, which is a quality CD player. Also, if you can still find one, the Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD changer is a very good CD player. It was discontinued a few months ago, but you might be able to track one down. It was selling for $600-800 a few months back.

Other CD players in your price range include the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (www.upscaleaudio.com) and Heart CD6000 (Link Removed). Both of these players are Marantz single-disc players that have been modified with tubes. I would expect them to offer a different sound than the $1000 DVD players.

For the record, I own the Sony 'C555ES and Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and prefer the 'C555ES. The Ah! can be upgraded (different tubes, DAC, power cord), and some of these upgrades might make it a better player.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Hey Keith, so in your opinion, do you think that a stand alone cd player is the best way to go for the absolute best possible redbook cd sound? Or if we held off for 6 months to a year will there be the "perfect" universal player? I am just strictly talking about audio players, for video I want a totally seperate player that the main focus is the quality of the picture.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, at this point in time, I think a dedicated CD player will best any of the universal players out there. Granted, I have not heard all of the $1000 universals, but I've heard a couple of them (Pioneer Elite and Integra). They aren't horror shows with CDs, but something like the Arcam CD82T is better. The Marantz DV-8300 does CD well, albeit at $1500. I still would be curious to hear what the Denon DV-2900 will do in the audio department.

Buying a dedicated CD player or waiting for a better universal is a tough call. As I said, it might be best to wait for the Denon '2900. Of course, if the '2900 doesn't cut it, dedicated CD players will still be available, so waiting might be prudent. Now, we are only talking about CD playback here. If you were to find a universal player that was on the money in terms of DVD-Audio and SACD, but not CD, you still might want to get that player and go with something else for CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks