What DVD Player now-a-days beats my DVP-S7000 Sony?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan Smith, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

Greetings,

My DVP-S7000 is starting to freak out on me. It's unfortunatelly time to repalce it. Since I have had this baby I have not given DVD players a second thought. I have no idea whats good now-a-days. That is why I need your help...

I now have a Marantz 42" Plasma Monitor with DVI, Component and the 5 Plug H-V synch component. Aside from the Linn Unidisk, what are my options? What beats my Sony which held the title as best interlaced player???

Cheers

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    While this is a very good player, considering it doesn't do DTS and is interlaced only, (not to be harsh) but just about any player $500 and over (and possibly even some that cost less than that) will likely have a better picture quality, particularly in progressive mode. What is your budget? The first player that comes to mind would be the Denon 2900 at MSRP $1k.

3. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, but it's worse than that, just about any player you buy will be better than the 7000 now. I should know, that was my first player too. Since then, I've also had an Apex multi-region, a Sony 755 and now use the Denon 2900.

If you've got to replace it right this second then I would look at the Samsung or V Inc. players that both upconvert and have DVI output. If you can hang on a bit, the new Sony that does both is out in September, the DVP-NS975V. List is $300, but you'll obviously be able to get it cheaper.

If you're interested in SACD or DVDA too, then the options would change.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The new Denon players, the 2910 and 3910, were just announced, so I'd wait for one of those.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, as the consensus here demonstrates, any current player above the bargain-basement level (less than $100) will outperform that first-generation Sony. Though its build quality isn't at the Sony 7000/7700 level, the $130 Sony 725 will put out a better picture.

6. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

Greetings all,

I am not interested in SACD or DVD-A as I have a "high end" CD palyer that I am happy with. My budget for my player is as follows; a plyer with GOOD DVI, or the BEST component player on the market WITHOUT SACD/DVD-A.

My Plasma has a specific DVI-I plug that does not fit the Samsumg DVD palyer. There is the Marantz flag ship player with DVI and SACD for 2500$ CAD, but I feel that I am paying too much for the SACD that I will not use.

I do not trust the "low end" players DVI output quality. They seem to me like a Fiero with a Porche kit. Sure it looks like a Porche on the outside but it sure isn't one on the inside.

Cheers

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

What you call the "low end" DVI players put out some of the best picture quality on the market and are also some of the most flexible players out there as well. I've been very happy with my second generation Bravo D1 (better loader than the gen-1 players). The D2 offers even further enhancements such as picture controls on the player. The Momitsu V880 also offers great DVI player and is very flexible. While these players were very quirky initially almost all of these issues have been addressed either with firmware updates or with changes in manufacturing. If you look at the DVD Player forum over at AVS you'll see exactly how popular the Momitsu is. These players really offer a big step up in PQ for fixed-pixel digital displays and they offer custom resolution settings for displays with odd resolutions (like 1280x768, most likely why the Samsung isn't compatible with your display since DVI-I is actually DVI-D and DVI-A (VGA)combined). With these players you're also not paying for SACD and DVD-A functions which seems to be your gripe with players such as the Denon 5900 and Pioneer Elite 59AVi.

I'm very interested to see how the 3910 and 2910 perform and what prices they become available at, but until then the best performers in DVI players are the Bravos and the Momitsus. They've come to fill a niche market that has grown since their introduction, and after some initial problems have come around to fill it rather well.

Your Fiero/Porche analogy is really a little reversed in terms of these players. They're more like a Beatle with a Porche engine. They may not look the part on the outside, but the performance is most definitely there.