What DVD player do you have in your car?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllenD, Mar 18, 2002.

1. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I'm looking to add a DVD player and an LCD screen, maybe 7-10", to the family van for those long drives on family trips. It's a Dodge Grand Caravan. The audio system in it is great, IMO. (10 speaker layout by Infinity) What features do I need to look for? What brand/model? I'm not interested in adding a center speaker. I'll be happy with stereo models. Same questions go for the LCD screen. I'd prefer a flip down model.

Thanks

BTW: I'll be leaving the double din stereo in the car and adding the DVD player in an empty slot below it.

2. Alexander Diaz

Alexander Diaz Auditioning

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT, fully loaded. I added 3 LCD screens to it, one the came out from my dashboard, and two on the headrests. The dvd player was toshiba if i remember correctly and the Screens were nutech. bout 1600 for all, well I had this system for about 3 months, one day at school some hoodlums broke into my car stole the LCDs and the player, plus my 2 12 inch subwoofers and my rockford fosgate amplifiers.

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] How do you people drive?

4. Alexander Diaz

its for my friends and for show.

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I just use my laptop. Even better idea now that vehicles are starting to come with an AC plug standard.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I only know of two.. The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix.. are there any other new cars that have built in power outlets?

7. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

8. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Allen,

Excuse me for stating the obvious here, but shouldn't you be driving anyway, instead of watching a movie?

For me personally, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to road trips. Part of the deal is making mix tapes, or in this case, mix CD's full of great tunes to listen to on the road. It's always great when I got friends with as well. We all end up singing along.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Just the other night I passed a guy in his Tahoe, as I look over, he is watching a movie. He is the only guy in the SUV. I laughed, thinking, how can you actually "watch" a moive. I think it was more for his ego than anything else.
    When my wife and I bought our Toyota Sienna, the vans came with the VHS/LCD TV and all. We shot that idea down real fast.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. Alexander Diaz

Really good audio place in my area, Sound Image. Like I said before, I do it for show purposes, And I am not a very poor driver, I live in california and didn't get any points tooken off when I got my license, seeing that a vast majority of 16 year olds getting their licenses have alot of screw up, I was flawless.

11. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Nate - If the TV goes behind the driver then there's no potential risk of accidents (unless you're trying to change DVDs while driving). I think Allen is looking to get something that is for the kids to watch while on long road trips. At least that's what I understand from reading his post. [​IMG]
    I've been thinking of adding a flip-down LCD monitor and a DVD player to my Grand Caravan as well (for the kids on long car trips). There are many available on Ebay, and plenty of LCD monitors at Parts Express. I can't do it for less than $500, which isn't too bad, but I just don't have that kind of dough right now. Otherwise I'd install something and I'd have some pictures to show here. [​IMG]

12. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Nate,
    I guess you'd have to read the whole post to understand that I won't be watching it, but the kids would be. To state the obvious, I intend on installing the LCD screen behind the front seats where the driver won't be able to see it, as Bill stated.
    In case you're wondering, I've only received one ticket for speeding (65 MPH in a 55 MPH zone) in my 17 years of driving. [​IMG]

13. Nate Anderson

Allen,

Sorry, I must have misread your thread somehow and imagined there being a screen on the dashboard for you to watch as well.

You might want to think about headphone jacks as well, in case your kids want to watch something totally obnoxious.

14. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Nate,

No worries! If it were only legal, I'd be the one wearing the headphones.

15. Nate Anderson

Well, I was thinking the headphones would be for the kids, but if experience has taught me one thing, they'd have the volume cranked up so loud you can hear it anyway, and the point is lost.

I guess you'd just have to show them quality family flicks like The Goonies, The NeverEnding Story, and there's one other that's slipping my mind right now. Oh well...

16. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Nate,
    The headphones are for me when the kids are watching Godzilla 2000 or some other wretched movie. http://members.aol.com/nightdog35/im...ey_grenade.gif That way I can listen to CDs while they watch their movie in the car.
    You nailed it with "The Goonies" and "The Never Ending Story." My kids and I love those. We've watched "The Princess Bride" and "Toy Story" 1 and 2 recently. Hopefully those make it in the car when I get the unit installed. I wouldn't mind hearing those movies while driving. Now if I can somehow convince them to like "Say Anything..."

17. Nate Anderson

The Princess Bride! That was it! And, it could be worse. They could be Barney fans.

18. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

When I get my Ghia to that stage I plan on installing a Pioneer in-dash DVD system. Of course, I have a long ways to go before I get there. Come on.... it's a 1959 VW. [​IMG]

19. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Allen, If it's for the kids, have you thought about a PS2? Games and movies would be more entertaining than just the movies... (Although it may cause a few more arguments over whose turn it is to play)
    If it's just for movies, I'd say go for an Apex. One of their units, the 1500, is narrow and small enough to fit almost anywhere, like the center console. (A vertical PS2 would also fit anywhere)
    You're going to be displaying the video on an LCD screen anyway, so the video quality output isn't going to make much of a difference.