What DVD Has "Transfixed" You Where You Couldn't Move?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Mar 8, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

The one for me recently was my first look at Saving Private Ryan.

An immersive experience. I thought Mr. Spielberg created an incredible motion picture there. 169 minutes, and I hardly moved while watching it. Sure didn't seem like nearly 3 hours, which is an indicator as to how good it is.

What films have welded you to the screen? So good, you refuse to even get up to the bathroom!

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Jacques Becker's Le Trou from Criterion. A film that brings new meaning to the word "riveting". Worth any amount of anybody's money.

3. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I have a feeling this will be going to the polls, but anyway. For me it was also Saving Private Ryan. I was totally shocked the first time I saw it and had an uneasy feeling throughout. My Grandfather was in WW II on the beaches of Normandy and would tell stories of the invasion so to actually see it was very disturbing. I have heard from other WW II vets that they can't even watch it without crying. Quite an experience.

4. andreasingo

andreasingo Stunt Coordinator

I will probably be flamed for this but Titanic did this to me. I had never seen it in a real theater and it made me a Home Theater and James Cameron nutcase. I have had several such experiences since then though...

5. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

For both the movies and for the extras on the discs...
    Criterion's Haxan
    Criterion's Gimme Shelter
    Criterion's Ivan the Terrible (I couldn't stand Alenaxder Nevsky as a film)
    Images Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler
    Vertigo
    Just for the films themselves...
    Image's Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Phantom of the Opera, both Lon Chaney versions.
    Requiem for a Dream
    North by Northwest
    Notorious
    Rasputin, the Mad Monk
    (some of these have great extras as well, but the ones I mentioned first have extras that for whatever reason just really had me riveted.)
    Just to mention a few. Several movies in my collection have glued me to the screen, but these come readily to mind. [​IMG]

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Moulin Rouge!

I was going to watch part of it just to see what all the fuss was about...darn good movie!

7. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

Mine is also Requiem for a Dream. Absolutely engrossing. By the end you're wrung out. It's a true modern masterpiece.

8. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

There's been a lot, but lately (and most profoundly) it has been Criterion's In The Mood For Love.
    Absolutely AMAZING film, great performances, direction, and cinematography. The movie is a literal waltz of mood and emotion. I'm drooling in the vanilla, just thinking about it.
    Not to mention a dumpload of extras to boot.

9. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I would have to agree with Le Trou. I nearly stopped breathing during one shot (if you've seen the film, you probably know the one I mean).
    Great, great film, and one I would never have seen if it weren't for my policy of picking up everything that Criterion issues. :)

10. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

It did before, and it still does...Stanley Kubricks A Clockwork Orange. It seems like everytime I look at the timer (if I look), 40 minutes to an hour have passed and I am scarcely aware of it. I look at the timer and in the next shot, I am immediatley sucked right back into the film for another 40 minute jaunt.
    Bruce

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
  12. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

I'm hardly impressed by movies, but one of the most recent surprises was an older (!) film: Fail-Safe
    The soundtrack isn't even stereo, although they did a great job in putting the film on DVD!
    Just more proof that a movie does not need sound effects, or glitz, or even colour, for that matter, in order to captivate its audience. The suspense was incredible, and the tension was incomparably more genuine than what we find in the large majority of modern blockbusters...

13. Armando_P

Armando_P Auditioning

For my wife and I, we love Se7en along with "The Game." Mind twisters, which we really enjoy.

Also, the original "The Vanishing" is still one of our favs.

14. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Lord of the Rings had me absolutely transfixed, I didnt move or blink during that whole film! Star Wars and 2001 as well just transfixed me.

15. Derek S

Derek S Stunt Coordinator

this might sound wierd....but i am gonna say The Perfect Storm, for some reason, the ocean has always kinda freaked me out....could be that big shark. But just knowing that they were all gonna die, maybe because it was a true story and putting myself in their shows, wondering what it would have been like on that boat with 100 foot waves, there must have been a moment when they knew it was over....very eerie to me....

that, and of course jay and silent bob....

banky the hack...

16. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

David Fincher movies... Stanley Kubrick movies... Spielberg movies... Peter Jackson movies... Dario Argento movies...
    Those are the ones that suck you in and won't let go.
    [​IMG]

17. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    The most recent film that's done this to me was Moulin Rouge!, without a doubt. My fiance and I sat down to wrap some gifts one evening and put this on to watch while we worked. We ended up getting *nothing* done for the next two hours. We just gawked.

18. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

19. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Another vote for Moulin Rouge. That was maybe the most extraordinary film I have ever seen--I literally had tears streaming down my face when it ended. Wow, what a flick!

20. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

Saving Private Ryan

Moulin Rouge

The Godfather Part II - the first time I saw it was on HBO. Man did it impact me.