What's new

What DVD Has Surprised You The Most? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Postives: Moulin Rouge, Family Man, Erin Brockovich (these three we'd heard good things about, but seeing them for ourselves we were amazed at what cool movies they were), The Sopranos (we'd never seen it before), and Bring It On (what I thought would be just a T&A title turned out to be good fun!).

Negative: I could rant and rave here about a LOT of bad stuff, but instead I'll just give a single vote...to InsideDVD, the replacement for Total Movie Magazine's included disc. After getting a few free issues of the, ahem, "revitalized" TM magazine to finish out the original subscription, I've decided to not renew it. The magazine was never great, but the new emphasis on "Total Movie AND ENTERTAINMENT" makes it pure drek. But the disc was always worth getting. No longer; there's a decided lack of ummph there in InsideDVD (was it always like this before they merged with TM?), despite a free movie being on the flip side now (good first choice, horrible second choice). The menus aren't as convenient and the content is even worse. A few nuggets amongst the flotsam, but nothing to write home about. I can't say enough about how disappointing this has turned out to be. I'll save the first four discs I got for TM as the collector's items they surely will be down the road.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
City of the Dead (aka Horror Hotel) from VCI. Literally packed with extras. I was surprised that VCI ponied up such a excellent SE for this forgotten classic. cheers.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Uh, Ryan...wouldn't that be Mandarin, instead of Madrid? ;)
After tolerating the initial DVD release of Tron for so long (it was the first disc I bought, over three years ago), the new 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition was an incredible treat, made even sweeter by getting it a week before it streeted.
Snow Falling On Cedars is another treat, just a fabulous presentation all around. The opening shot still blows me away; I can't even imagine how incredible the anamorphic presentation must look, but I'll find out once I buy a 16x9 set...someday.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Postive: Mourlin Rouge, Lawence of Arbia, Memento, Se7en, and Altantis : Lost Empire.

I taking some liability on mentioning four films, but they all were very good ones that I never seem prior to DVD and loved them all. They each changed my thoughts on movies all in a good way.

Negative : Shrek

I thought from the previews this would be a prefect film for me, but it turned out be a pile of crap. I still can't give away my copy of the movie.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to say 'Sting: All This Time' simply for the reason that the packaging says the disc is simply surround sound, but the actual disc is not only in DD5.1, but anamorphic widescreen to boot! Talk about getting more than you expected!!

Star Wars: Ep. 1 also surprised me, just because I never thought I'd spend an entire weekend digging into a DVD for a movie I absolutely hated. The supplemental materials (and their quality) is simply outstanding.

Rich

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
The following is true:
I haven't watched anything but high definition television for the last several weeks.
I finally got around to watching 'Heart in Atlantis' and couldn't believe how poor the image quality was.
(I did enjoy the story though)
Just for the heck of it, I put on my Superbit copy of 'Fifth Element' and it looks poor too.
It's pretty depressing to look at my library of almost 1000 DVDs when I can't bring myself to look at them.
Oh well, time to watch some more HDTV. :)
Sorry.......
DVD image quality just doesn't cut it anymore.
Maybe if I take my glasses off and sit back a few more meters from the screen.......

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
Rushmore CC.I had a different experience with the CC version that I never had at the theater.Out of my 120+ dvd's this has to be the best overall.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Probably Memento, I bought it unseen and it just blew me away, Following also has the same affect on me.

Another one, I'd say is Dont Say a Word, I picked it up thinking it'd be pretty decent, I was really picking it up cause it had Sean Bean in it. Wow, I was really suprised by it. Smart and very well acted.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
HELLZAPOPPIN'

I had been trying to see this film for over 30 years. It has been off US TV (it was shown in the early 60's)because of rights issues (it was origianlly a stage play and the owners of the rights reportedly want more than Universal is willing to pay).

So imagine my surprise when reading Mobius Home Video Forum that it's available as a code zero PAL disk from Australia. And that it can be had for about $15 US shipped via airmail from EzyDVD!

Got it this week. Plays perfectly on my computer (I also found out from Mobius that there's a $74 Apex player from WalMart that can be set to multicode and will play PAL on NTSC TVs--I'm picking one up today).

As for the film itself, it's like finding a new Marx Brothers comedy from the Paramount period. Non-stop gags, frentic pace, anarchy, complete obliteration of the "fourth wall". And in some ways, it's even better than the Marx Brothers because the "love story" doesn't get in the way of the comedy and actually becomes part of it.

The picture is a little soft, and scratchy in a few places and for some odd reason the reel changes are included in the transfer, but this doesn't detract from the presentation (it just adds to the weirdness). There's also a gallery with some lobby cards, and a brief biography section (which really doesn't tell you much), but considering the rarity of the film in the US, this is defintely a bargain and a must have for collectors of comedy. Highly recommended!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Earth Girls Are Easy
A surprisingly good movie starring Geena Davis, Jeff Goldbloom, Daman Wayams and Jim Carrey. This movie was made before they became huge successes. The DVD itself has a slew of extra features presented in the form of an old color TV set with channel buttons on the side, some of them with snow or test patterns.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
"HARDBALL" is a GREAT disc. The film is really, really good (NOT "Bad News Bears" far more dark). It has humour, it has drama, it has cute kids, it has Diane Lane....

The DVD is top-notch. Video is 10/10. Audio is good as well. Plenty of supplements too. As Keanu would say 'Whoa'...

Definately, a worthwhile disc. Very surprised by everything about it really.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Almost Famous-Bootleg

I cannot beleive that a movie I did not want to see has turned into my favorite!If it were not for Ron Epstein's review of this disc I wouldn't have even bothered.Thanks Ron!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Moulin Rouge, A.I. (positive)
MI:2, Jay & Silent Bob SB (negative)
Peace Out~:D

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Kenneth I think your out of your head. I'll take your copy of Shrek. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! I have close to 400 DVD's and have never owned a movie that I have watched so many times in such a short period of time (since it came out)

Others that impressed me are Memento,Run Lola Run and last but definitly not least Lawrence Of Arabia. I had'nt seen it since I was a kid. Thought it was kind of boring then. The dont make em like that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks