What DVD Has Surprised You The Most?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Feb 21, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

You can go either way with this question? .......

Which DVD has surprised you in a POSITIVE manner (or in a NEGATIVE way)?

2. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Monkeybone!

I thought this to be a lame comedy, but in fact it was really well done. It also had an excellent DTS soundtrack.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Since I've seen 1300+ DVDs, it's hard to pin down ONE, but I will offer a recent pleasant surprise: Smashing Pumpkins' Video Hits. I wasn't surprised I liked the music or the videos, but I LOVED the extras - they were uniformly terrific...

4. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

T2 Ultimate Edition.
    it was the first DVD that I got that was absolutely packed with extras. [​IMG]

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Recently, HARDBALL was a big surprise. Great video, subtle use of the surrounds, and a far better movie than I thought it would be.

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Apocalypse Now Redux, the audio and video quality was pretty good, but the trailer as the "extra" ain't gonna do it. At first I was looking forward to this release because I thought that Apocalypse Now would get the special edition treatment that it deserves. An Apocalypse Now SE should have both versions of the film available, a commentary by Francis Ford Coppola, deleted scenes (trust me there is a lot more), and Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse.
    Before Redux came out in theaters, I read somewhere that Coppola said that one of his motivations for making Redux was the versatility of the DVD.

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Osmosis Jones would be my choice for pleasant surprise. I expected something really stupid but wound up with a very funny film. The disc is also a solid effort by Warner.[​IMG]

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Superman: The Movie - Special Edition
    My mouth dropped when I first saw how good this looked and sounded. This was my third "most wanted" movie behind Raiders and the original Star Wars.
    The extras were well done, as well.

9. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Memento
    Found out about this movie last year on this forum. Picked it up sight unseen and it's my favorite movie from last year!

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The Sweet Hereafter
    This Atom Egoyan film is mysterious, atmospheric, and emotionally devastating. It's filled with great performances, and it's a typically outstanding New Line Platinum SE, with a great commentary and a number of other high quality supplements. Highly recommended.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Jeremy A. ..... Glad to hear that about HARDBALL. Just ordered it, even though the reviews were only "mixed" (for the film only). Now I'll look forward to it more.

Another really inexpensive DVD with lots of features is "Dressed to Kill" (1980). Anybody got that one?

12. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Although this release had been hyped to the high heavens, I still wasn't prepared for the absolute pristine quality of this transfer of a movie first released in 1937. As many have stated here,it was almost like viewing animated cell drawings rather than film.
    The supplements were really special as well: A Walt Disney(!) commentary track, an Angela Lansbury-hosted documentary on the making of the movie, and the incredible "Disney through the Decades" documentary with a special guest host for each decade. And those were just the highlights of the breathtaking depth of the supplements provided. I still haven't found the time to listen to all of the included audio supplements which include a Lux radio broadcast of the premier of the movie in 1937.
    The only thing that Disney did wrong with this release was pull it from distribution too early. I really feel sorry for the millions of families that will be acquiring their first DVD player in the next few years that will be denied the opportunity of owning this historic release.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Joseph .... I agree!

It was only on the market for a few months I think. I was wondering why it was dropped from circulation on January 31st of this year. (???) Seems too soon to me too.

Amazon (and probably most other retailers) still have copies for sale. But not for much longer I imagine.

14. Garry I

Garry I Stunt Coordinator

Ultimate Jordan
    I thought this was going to be some cheap VHS transfer. I was suprised to find that the menus were well done, great packaging, great 5.1 soundtrack along with the original prologic and digitally remastered video

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

A tie

Dragon Ash: Lily Da Video

Avalon (Mamoru Oshii)

(both Japan R2)

Dragon Ash's disc contains 70min of music videos with PCM soundtracks. The disc is dual layered and the image is beyond flawless. Not a pixel out of place

Avalon does the same, and has one of the best DD 5.1 EX tracks I've ever heard.

16. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Tomorrow Never Dies: SE (Silver cover)

This was the first DVD I bought with a DVD player in 1999. The awesome menu, unbelievable sound of DD5.1 at home for the first time, and great extras hooked me for good.

17. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

U-571. My jaw literally dropped during the depth charge scenes. My surrounds had never sounded better.

18. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

After reading about it HERE!

Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Brilliant film

Looks & sounds (DTS) fantastic

19. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

Prince of Egypt...

got it as the unasked film off of Columbia House's DVD club. WOAH MAMMA!! What a great movie with some really cool supplements (esp, the muti-language part).

Jim

20. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I'll Never Forget Whats'is'name
    Excellent forgotten film with Oliver Reed and Orson Welles. Terrific transfer and an audio commentary to boot. Bless you, Anchor Bay!