What's new

What DVD do you play to demo your HT? (1 Viewer)

BrianCli

Agent
I just got a new Harmon Kardon 525 receiver, and I was wondering what DVD (and chapter) you guys use to demo your system.

I have been using Star Wars: ATOC chapter 17-18 (the Jango Fett/Obi-wan astroid chase scene).

If you only had 10 minutes to demo your system, what would you play?

Thanks,

Brian C

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, this answer has been asked and answered so many times, but you all know we like to answer it and give our opinions. There are so many out there but I will list my top 10.
1. Savinng Private Ryan "DTS" Hands down the best demo dvd.
2. Starship Troopers "Superbit"
3. Toy Story 2
4. Monsters Inc
5. LOTR Fellowship Extended Edition
6. Star Wars AOTC
7. Gladiator
8. Vertical Limit "Superbit" Stunning picture quality.
9. Chicago
10.We Were Soldiers

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yep Toy Story 2 from the box set with the robot mechanic and the cows plus the Buzz opening sequence.

It's all there - video, audio with serious LFE and directionality.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Is the "robot mechanic and the cows plus the Buzz opening sequence" only from the TS 2 Box set?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes - my friend has a standalone copy of Toy Story2 and it does not have the cow THX trailer.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
does anyone have that link that was pinned to the top of this forum for a while? it had tons and tons of recommendations...i think for dvd etc mag?

i'm going to bookmark it for future threads like this.

btw brian - how do you like your new receiver? i'm thinking about hk for my next upgrade...

BrianCli

Agent
Ted

I LOVE my new H/K 525. I got it from jandr for a good price a couple of weeks ago. The thing sounds great. I still cant believe what a big difference a good processor makes. Logic 7 is nice, but the power is the best. It's a beast.... and hot as a dutch oven! You can bake cookies on top of it!

I dont mind the heat, it sounds great and I love cookies!

:wink:

Let me know if you find a link for the best demo dvds.

thanks,

Brian

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
all the ones mentioned here of course...and yes, there are numerous threads on demo stuff.

But I do have a new favorite that I've been playing for people:

LOTR:EE chapter 21 I think? "Fight to the Ford" where Arwen is taking Frodo to Rivendel and being chased by the Ringwraiths.

This scene really has it all; dialogue, action, and the great chorus while she is fleeing. When the water responds to her wish etc...the bass is very deep and loud. Both the DD and dts track deliver the goods.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I also use the Jango Fett/Obi-wan astroid chase scene for a demo. It is a good mix for showing off audio as well as video. The orange planet and the little blue flame coming out of the rockets Jango fires is absolutely stunning. The colors on my Sony 57" widescreen are insane.

I also use the beginning for T2 running the DTS track. Sweet. A skull cracking good time!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Stewart Little 2

Great sharp vivid colors and incredible 5.1 played back on EX setups.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I started out with Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition DVD in DTS.

Once I was satisfied there, I played Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of The Ring DVD in Dolby 5.1.

Both high quality and sound amazing and able to test my HT with them thoroughly.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks