What's new

What drivers work well in a small sealed box besides the Tumult? (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I am leaning towards building a sealed subwoofer for my next project and so far I like how the Tumult models in a small sealed box...before I buy one or more is there any other drivers I should take a look at for my needs?

I'd be willing to go up to around 8cu ft , up to 6 drivers and the total load needs to stay around 4ohms or higher.

Edit:
I'd love to know what drivers Velodyne uses in their SPL series sealed subwoofers, I really like the sound of these subwoofers even though they are not bottom dwellers.
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...Series_II.html
Thanks

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
James,
Just a guess, but they are most likely TC Sounds drivers. They could also be custom Eminence, or Desijtl OEM's. You are probably aware of the other "usual suspects": Adire DPL, Stryke AV series, PE Titanic, "Blueprint," Eclipse drivers, RE drivers, Edesign Audio drivers, Aura Neo drivers, etc.
JP

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I see the size budget, what is the $$$ budget?

(2) tumults and (2) 1000 watt plate amps from Acoustic visions for $1600 would do the trick, and you could sell the RMX1850 to get some of the money back (I think you said in another post you already have the RMX amp. . .).

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/onsale/

If I was starting over, that is what I would do just to get rid of the fan noise of the QSC amp and save $350.

Brian

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Look into the Blueprint drivers as well. Acoustic Vissions is now selling them and they work extremely well in small boxes.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
What is with small box= 8cf^3 and mulitpul drivers. Good golly a fridge in the music/HTroom...:D

First as already mentioned how much $$ to spend?

What exactly are you looking to do here with the purposed sub/s, meaning sealed is a must, and multi drivers are the plan?

Their are many good drivers that work well in small sealed boxes, add a little eq, or LT to/them, and freq-depth can increase big time. Some do not even require mild eq-ing of the bottom end if you can go large enough with your box volume. All is choosen driver dependent with this approach.

But is this something your looking for also, Sealed with extreme low/sub freq extension?

Just not really understanding sealed and 8cf^3 with multi drivers, uness it's about low-Q and big spl for primarly music.

Jim threw out the majority of drivers and CO's that make drivers that work well in small to smaller sealed, boxes. Their are others, tho it just depends on what exactly your going to do with them in your sealed design. Standard sealed box, push pulls, Iso's loading or a multi combo of some type of the many different types of sealed loading....

Interesting thread...

Velos SPL series drivers, not sure who makes them, could be any one of the 3 major well known build houses, but regardless, they get their sound from their design. Servo controled of some type, mega watt amping is needed, heavy eq-ing, and distortion limiter.
This is kinda simalar to the rev limiter on a nascar engine, keeps it operating in it's clean safe and most accurate power band...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks