what driver...?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by al lout, Sep 15, 2005.

1. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

My friend is considering a DIY sub. Either 15" or 18" sealed sub. I've noticed most of the driver are not in stock. I recommended him the avalanche 15 and 18. But I believe those are not in stock anymore. Can anyone tell me other drivers that are currently in stock? He's willing to pay up to $500 for the driver. Something that is equivalent to the Avalanche 18 or similar? He can build a box about 39x21x21. I've checked the Tumult 15 and the maelstrom as well, but with no luck... Any driver on the market today???

Al,

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

There are few options at the moment for high-output 18" drivers (until Adire/Ascendent/others get their new productions runs ready.) You can look at some 15" models that are available, such as:

OAudio TC2+
    Elemental Designs K or O model
    Cerwin Vega V-Max 15 (it models very well as a "home" subwoofer)
    Dayton Titanic MkIII
    Soundsplinter Premium series

You could also wait for the new LMT drivers from Soundsplinter, which are said to be at least the equivalent of the XBL drivers.

JP

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I'm pretty sure the most recent offerings from Oaudio have the same LM technology as those from SoundSplinter. Might want to check with Todd to be sure.

4. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I was just in contact with Todd at Oaudio and he said that their new drivers were TC2+ models from TC Sounds. They have very low distortion (as Thomas and others have mentioned) but they are not the new Linear Motor Technology subs (http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...showtopic=4209) that TC is producing. At the price Oaudio sells them for, I would have been surprised to see them have the LMT.
    JP

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Interesting, Todd said he was making changes to the newest production run. Now I wonder what those changes are?