What's new

What driver would be best suited for a 165 Liter sealed (2' 24" sonotube) enclosure (1 Viewer)

Scott Parker

Agent
Hey guys, I'm a semi-newbie to this DIY stuff but my first one turned out pretty good. I guess the choices would be, Tempest, Shiva, AV12, AV15, Blueprint 1203, is there anyone else I'm missing. I've already made a 340L vented Tempest design, so I'm going for the coffee table with a bump approach. And also the bass is a little bit bloated with some overhang, and I was hoping this would be much tighter. Let me know what ya guys think

Scott Parker

Agent
Do you guys think the AV15 would work. What's the best program to simulate t/s parameters of any speaker? Before I was using adire's because I was just considering the tempest. Is it better to be above or below the Vas in a sealed application?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Scott,

Below Vas usually, unless you want a real low Q. Since you've decided on a box size, the Q is determined by the driver. In that enclosure (stuffed) a Tempest is about Q=.56, and an AV15 is about 0.5, both of which are very "tight." (Correct me if I'm wrong with those numbers.) Most any long excursion 15" driver would work fine in that size box. My only concern would be room response, as a coffee table is usually placed out into the room (a bad place to make bass).

If you can afford a larger amp like 800W, go with the AV15. If using a plate amp, the Tempest or DVC15 is probably a better choice.

About your vented sub, have you measured its response? Moved it around the room? Tried adding polyfill? The large Tempest should not be boomy in and of itself.

Scott Parker

Agent
Wouldn't the AV-15 have around the same output per watt as the Tempest (AV-15 88.5 1w/1m || Tempest 89.1 1w/1m)? Yeah it would be nice to get the full excursion of the AV-15 so I might upgrade my amp later, just using the ol 250-watt plate right now. I've tried moving my tempest around the room, I think the problem is my room's too small. Whenever I move it around I get about 2 to 3 peaks at different frequency's. And I read earlier that if you want "tight" bass you should get a fairly level response. And yeah I did stuff it with 5lbs of polyfill, but I guess I could always use more. I heard people using 5lbs for a sub half my size. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Scott, you may want to invest in a BFD ($130 or so) to equalize the sub's response. With a sealed sub, you'll still have the same room response problems (and they'll be worse if you are restricted to certain convenient positions).

If you plug up the port on your sub how does the sound change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks