What draws us to "crappy" movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kissinger, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

If you like any of the movies I may mention, I'm not trying to start a fight. I just found them a bit stinky, and thats just my opinion. And if you follow my votes in the tourneys, you know my opinion pretty much is crap itself.
    That out of the way, I've been reading through some posts, and it came to me that I'm not the only one that will knowingly watch a movie that I know will more than likely be no good. The big one that stood out is Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2. People will post that they are both are the biggest piece of sh** ever made. If you hated the first one so bad, then why did you watch the second one? You know it will be more of the same. I, myself, found parts of the first funny, and although I haven't yet seen the second one, I probably will.
    I'm not saying I'm any better, just the opposite. I just rented Jeepers Creepers knowing that I probably wouldn't like it. And the worst part is, I'm not real sure why I did. It wasn't horrible, but I wasn't impressed. Why throw away money, when I could just wait for it to play on HBO?
    Anyone have any theories? I am just drawn to crap, but what about you?

2. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I like to draw my own conclusions about movies, so I will often watch movies that got bad reviews.

Your example of Scary Movie is perfect. I thought the original had a LOT of funny parts. I enjoyed that movie quite a bit! It received mixed reviews. But the second one has received virtually no positive reviews at all, so I probably wont see that one.

So, even though I like to make my own conclusions about a movie, if a movie gets NOTHING but very bad reviews, such as Freddy Got Fingered, I probably will not waste my time watching it.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Maybe we go in with low or normal expectations and hope they'll exceed them.

That happened when I bought the DVD of the 6-episode 1980 TV disaster "Pink Lady (and Jeff)." I hoped to get some unintentional laughs from it but found that it really was as bad as they said. The gags were so labored, misconceived and badly executed that I could have saved money if the producers had destroyed all evidence that this show ever existed. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Bette Midler's TV series.

Curse my curious mind!

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

As Mr. Kissnger well knows, I have very good taste in movies so I don't even know why I'm posting here. ::shrug::

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Not me. If I know it is bad (unanimously) then I stay far from it because my time is precious.

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen

7. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

It's probably because there's a higher percent chance there will be some mindless softcore and gore than in a movie that has a viable story and characters.

8. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

Hey what the heck, are you calling Death Race 2000 bad? I loved that one.[​IMG]

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Huh?
    Death Race 2000 is a damn good movie! It's cheap exploitation, but it's a refreshingly BRUTAL dark comedy! Rarely does satire have the balls that this flick has.
    BTW- My affinity for crappy movies has been well-documented. Last night I saw Slackers AND I am Sam! [​IMG]

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I thought Slackers was an interesting movie. The old anarchist was a riot!

11. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I love "bad" movies because I am a big fan of sarcastic humor. I enjoy honing my sarcastic chops while watching them. [​IMG]
    Here's an abridged list of the best "guilty pleasure" dvds that I own. I love making fun of all of these movies.
    No offence to anyone who genuinely likes any of these films! [​IMG]
    Above the Law
    Chain Reaction
    Cobra
    Commando
    Face/Off
    The Fast and The Furious
    Fire Down Below
    Gone in 60 Seconds
    Hard To Kill
    Hollow Man
    The Karate Kid, Part III
    The Last Dragon
    Lock Up
    Out For Justice
    Passenger 57
    Red Dawn
    Rocky V
    Superman IV
    Tango & Cash
    Turbulence
    Under Siege 2
    Vertical Limit

12. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    OK, OK maybe I was a little rough on the old Corman classic Death Race 2000. Please substitute any VanDamme film in it's place.

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

14. Geoff Sharp

Geoff Sharp Auditioning

Hell Yeah!! Why else do you think i watched Poison Ivy: The New Seduction!!!!

15. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    There are several reasons why I am attracted to crappy movies. The first is the obvious one: it's so hard to imagine a group of people spent months of their lives putting together such drek as GLEN OR GLENDA, ROBOT MONSTER or ARMAGEDDON (I lump the last title in with the first two because I think they're all of similar quality) that they must be seen to be believed. And the filmmakers had to think their work would be an artistic achievement, or why bother? The unintentional laughs are worth the time it takes to watch them. There is another reason: I was very young (pre-teen) when I saw scores of such films as ANGRY RED PLANET and THE LOST WORLD (1960) and my liking of them simply never flagged into adulthood - nostalgia has a strong emotional pull.

16. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

My excuse is I like to see everything. I like going into lots of films and judging them by myself. Plus I have an unhealthy addiction to my 2001 and 2002 film lists. [​IMG]
    Right now, as some of you know, I'm stuck in the Victoria film festival. Which means I don't have time to see the likes of Slackers or A Walk To Remember, but I still want to see them later. The former, who knows, but the latter? I like 17 year old pop singers with the first name Mandy and the last name Moore. [​IMG]
    Jason