What's new

What draws us to "crappy" movies? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
If you like any of the movies I may mention, I'm not trying to start a fight. I just found them a bit stinky, and thats just my opinion. And if you follow my votes in the tourneys, you know my opinion pretty much is crap itself.
That out of the way, I've been reading through some posts, and it came to me that I'm not the only one that will knowingly watch a movie that I know will more than likely be no good. The big one that stood out is Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2. People will post that they are both are the biggest piece of sh** ever made. If you hated the first one so bad, then why did you watch the second one? You know it will be more of the same. I, myself, found parts of the first funny, and although I haven't yet seen the second one, I probably will.
I'm not saying I'm any better, just the opposite. I just rented Jeepers Creepers knowing that I probably wouldn't like it. And the worst part is, I'm not real sure why I did. It wasn't horrible, but I wasn't impressed. Why throw away money, when I could just wait for it to play on HBO?
Anyone have any theories? I am just drawn to crap, but what about you?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I like to draw my own conclusions about movies, so I will often watch movies that got bad reviews.

Your example of Scary Movie is perfect. I thought the original had a LOT of funny parts. I enjoyed that movie quite a bit! It received mixed reviews. But the second one has received virtually no positive reviews at all, so I probably wont see that one.

So, even though I like to make my own conclusions about a movie, if a movie gets NOTHING but very bad reviews, such as Freddy Got Fingered, I probably will not waste my time watching it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe we go in with low or normal expectations and hope they'll exceed them.

That happened when I bought the DVD of the 6-episode 1980 TV disaster "Pink Lady (and Jeff)." I hoped to get some unintentional laughs from it but found that it really was as bad as they said. The gags were so labored, misconceived and badly executed that I could have saved money if the producers had destroyed all evidence that this show ever existed. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Bette Midler's TV series.

Curse my curious mind!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
As Mr. Kissnger well knows, I have very good taste in movies so I don't even know why I'm posting here. ::shrug::

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Not me. If I know it is bad (unanimously) then I stay far from it because my time is precious.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
It's probably because there's a higher percent chance there will be some mindless softcore and gore than in a movie that has a viable story and characters.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Huh?
Death Race 2000 is a damn good movie! It's cheap exploitation, but it's a refreshingly BRUTAL dark comedy! Rarely does satire have the balls that this flick has.
BTW- My affinity for crappy movies has been well-documented. Last night I saw Slackers AND I am Sam! :D

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I thought Slackers was an interesting movie. The old anarchist was a riot!

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I love "bad" movies because I am a big fan of sarcastic humor. I enjoy honing my sarcastic chops while watching them. :D
Here's an abridged list of the best "guilty pleasure" dvds that I own. I love making fun of all of these movies.
No offence to anyone who genuinely likes any of these films! :)
Above the Law
Chain Reaction
Cobra
Commando
Face/Off
The Fast and The Furious
Fire Down Below
Gone in 60 Seconds
Hard To Kill
Hollow Man
The Karate Kid, Part III
The Last Dragon
Lock Up
Out For Justice
Passenger 57
Red Dawn
Rocky V
Superman IV
Tango & Cash
Turbulence
Under Siege 2
Vertical Limit

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
OK, OK maybe I was a little rough on the old Corman classic Death Race 2000. Please substitute any VanDamme film in it's place.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There are several reasons why I am attracted to crappy movies. The first is the obvious one: it's so hard to imagine a group of people spent months of their lives putting together such drek as GLEN OR GLENDA, ROBOT MONSTER or ARMAGEDDON (I lump the last title in with the first two because I think they're all of similar quality) that they must be seen to be believed. And the filmmakers had to think their work would be an artistic achievement, or why bother? The unintentional laughs are worth the time it takes to watch them. There is another reason: I was very young (pre-teen) when I saw scores of such films as ANGRY RED PLANET and THE LOST WORLD (1960) and my liking of them simply never flagged into adulthood - nostalgia has a strong emotional pull.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
My excuse is I like to see everything. I like going into lots of films and judging them by myself. Plus I have an unhealthy addiction to my 2001 and 2002 film lists. :)
Right now, as some of you know, I'm stuck in the Victoria film festival. Which means I don't have time to see the likes of Slackers or A Walk To Remember, but I still want to see them later. The former, who knows, but the latter? I like 17 year old pop singers with the first name Mandy and the last name Moore. :)
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks