1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What door to use

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by greg_mc, Dec 30, 2003.

1. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

After spending all this time and money attempting to maximize the soundproofing and trying to deaden the sound, what do you use for a door so all of your effort is not wasted? Is a solid wooden door with weatherstripping all that is needed? Anything else? What do they use in the theatre...double doors with mini-hallway in-between? It has been so long since I have been that I cannot recall. What have others used with success in this area?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes – a heavy solid core door with weather-stripping is the way to go. An air-tight threshold would also help.

However, you may be solving one problem and causing another. An airtight room is critical for soundproofing, but it is problematic with standard air conditioning systems, which depend on air getting past the door for proper return/ventilation. Thus an airtight room requires special A/C considerations, namely a second air vent for the return.

3. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Wayne,

Good point on air return. Think I will just create a chase in ceiling from HT room to the adjoining room so the air can move out of the room when new air is pushed in. This will solve HVAC issue. I do not need to feed all the way back to return trunk.

So if I go to Home Depot, do I get an outside door? I have not seen interior doors with weatherstripping on it.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, it would probably have to be an outside door. Not so much for the weather stripping (that can always be added), but for the solid core. You don’t see many solid core interior doors.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt