What does your home lan look like?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_R, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I currently live with my parents because I'm unemployed, out of school and searching for a job. As a result I share their DSL connection, but they won't allow me to run wires topside.
    Here is my setup - starting from the computer I am typing this on.
    From my computer, into my hub into a cat5 cable that is spliced into some 4 conductor alarm cable that runs inside the house, and upstairs, then when that wire pops out in the back room I spliced another cat5 into it, which goes into another hub, and the firewall, the firewall then goes from to the dsl modem and to you guys.
    The reason for 2 hubs is, from firewall to my dad and I, we need a hub, and then the wire that I get, I put a hub on it to connect my 3 computers. One is my main XP box, one is my NT4 (dual p90, dual 700 meg scsi drives) box that I use to remote connect to XP while I am sitting on my couch, and the other is a web server(currently down as the hard drive went caput!)
    The machines are as follows
    Sera - XP - 700mhz decent machine
    Ralph - NT4 - used to remote connect to XP
    Steve - (some distro of linux, under dev right now)
    Stinky- my firewall - check out www.smoothwall.org
    DonaldR - Win2k - my dad's machine
    Everyone can see everyone else via DNS names (Sera, Steve, Stinky, and Ralph, and my dad DonaldR).
    I'm not sure why I shared all that, but I did.
    Jon

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Cable Modem-->Netgear RT314 Router-->KC, Chris, Blake, 5-port Switch-->Me, Justin
    Buying a 4-port router and a 5-port switch was cheaper than buying an 8-port router.
    Two PCs running 98SE, two running XP Pro, and one running ME (until I format and install XP Pro during spring break).
    We have various lengths of Cat5, 10-50ft, running along the floor through the hallways.
    Luckily I have the router/switch in my room, so if one of the guy's is hogging all our bandwidth, his cable will mysteriously unplug itself for a while [​IMG]

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

4. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Cable Modem: Toshiba Docsis

Router/Gateway: Linksys DSL/Cable Router w/ 4-port switch

Machines:

slinky - Athlon 1 gig'r with Win98

kids - Celeron 366 with Win98

laptop - Pentium II 266

work - Pentium II 350

5. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Buzz,

Does Comcast require you to have special software (ie. login) installed?

Have you tried this:

Power down everything.

Wait about 30 minutes.

Power up cable modem and wait for it to be completely connected.

Power up the Linky and wait for it to be completely connected.

Power up the pc's and surf.

If that doesn't work.

Did you try cloning your mac address in the router setup?

Alan

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Cable Modem -> Netgear RT314 router -> Girlfriends Desktop, LaserJet 4000 w/ JetDirect card, Apple Airport Base Station. In the wireless "cloud", I've got two Apple Powerbooks. The Airport is setup to be a wireless bridge, and the RT314 handles all DHCP for the LAN.

Wireless is the bees knees.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Nothing to elaborate for me ..

DSL modem connected to a SMC Barricade router which has me 1.4 gig Athlon connected to it as well as my wifes Celeron 450 (soon to be upgraded). Epson photo printer is connected to the SMC's print server

8. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

My home LAN:

* 2 in-wall Cat 5e connections in each room.

* In a central closet, I have a Toshiba cable modem and a 4-port NetGear router.

* 2 PCs - a Dell P3 800 mhz and a Compaq Athlon 933 mhz.

* Coming soon: Compaq IPaq and a wireless access point.

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

DSL modem >Dlink DI-704 router >2 desktop PCs (Athlon 1.4 gaming machine & Pentium III office system)

The router also feeds an 80' ethernet cable (through attic) to my home theater. In the home theater are the following pieces of my network:

Linksys 4-port switch >Linksys WAP11 802.11b access point >2 notebook computers (Athlon4 1.2Ghz & Apple iBook)

The Linksys switch also connects my Xbox to the network (Halo online is quite cool!). The remaining 2 ports will later connect my PS2 & Gamecube.

10. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

My setup:

AT&T cable modem feeding

'Yggdrasil' a SMP P3/933 linux box (acts as a NAT, file server, VPN gateway, development box, etc.)

which plugs into a Nortel Baystack switch...

which feeds into:

'Analogue' a P3/800 W2K HTPC

'Axiom' a Athlon/1600XP+ XP games/general purpose box

I've got a bunch of other bits and pieces that ocassionally morph into a slower machine thats used when I need a bunch of CPU cycles for something, need to test something, etc.

11. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

SpeedStream DSL router>Netgear 8 port hub>celeron 366 (w/XP pro), P4 1.6 (dual boot XP pro Win2k pro), a laptop docking station, and the Xbox(for multiplayer through gamespy). All systems are running ZoneAlarm for a firewall.

I'm getting the HW together to move the celeron downstairs and have it plug in via wireless. It's currently serving as an MP3 store. We're going to hook it up to the downstairs stereo, and hide it in a rolltop desk.

12. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Motorola Cable modem(comcast told me it wouldn't work, but it works fine)-->Siemens WirelessDSL/Router--->curently I have RJ45 ends put on my Cat5 runs, am in the process of installing a 24 port patch panel which will run to a 24 port switch. Then a Siemens Wireless PCMCIA card. I picked up the modem, router, pcmcia card for under 300 bucks at Compusa, the router and wireless card were half off with a 50 dollar rebate. Pics of network-My network

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

/----{Primary box - B&W G3/OS X}
    |
    -->--{Secondary box - PC/Win2kPro}