What's new

What does XBR mean? (1 Viewer)

Mike-Post

Grip
Can anyone explain to me what XBR means on Sony TVs?

I recently purchased a Sony KV34HS510 (34" Widescreen), and I was curious what the XBR version had over my TV.(KV34XBR910).

Thanks.

Mike-Post

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The XBRs typically have a better tube. Your model has more or less the same circuitry as the previous XBR.

From Crutchfield (features the HS do not have):

How did Sony improve their flagship XBR technology? By developing the highest-resolution Trinitron yet — the revolutionary Super Fine Pitch™ CRT. The defining element of any Trinitron picture tube is the "aperture grill"; a metal mask with hundreds of narrow vertical slits through which beams from the TV's electron gun pass, striking the phosphor dot coating to form the images we see. The Super Fine Pitch CRT has 65% more of these vertical slits for a huge increase in horizontal resolution. For bright, vibrant colors to match the added detail, Sony also increased the output of the electron gun, and used a high-intensity luminescent phosphor coating.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, at MSRP, I wouldn't spend the extra for the XBR either. If you looked around, however, you might have found the previous XBR for much less. I found the 34" XBR for $1400 new on closeout because the new models are out.

Mike-Post

Grip
The closest I came to that price was a 2yr old Demo XBR for $1700. I got my TV brand new for the same price.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But, truthfully, the XBRs have the finest parts and Sony's most advanced features. And the new "aperture grill" on the XBR910 series apparently does make a noticeable difference (read the review of the KV-34XBR910 in the latest issue of Sound & Vision as well as the user comments in our Display Devices section.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
I asked my Sony rep in 1995 and he said XBR meant eXtra Bright Resolution. The XBR direct-view TVs are an elevated standard of the Trinitron.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It makes sense for HDTV to have a higher physical color resolution on your monitor. It especially enhance the horizontal resolution.
How much money it's worth? Depends on your taste, and use of the set.

Cees

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
( eXceptional Brand Recognition )

And if you have the 40"XBR (extra bracing required) because that tv is one heavy sob:D

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
Seriously though...

The XBR sets are X-ceptional TVs and are worth the extra money if you can afford it.

Friend of mine has the 40" and it's pretty sweet. Would have gotten it myself but I prefer a larger screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks