What does tuning your TV with AVIA/VE/SVHT do for regular TV shows?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose Robles, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

I just recently tweaked my RPTV with that Sound & Vision Home Theatre Tuneup DVD (I think that's what it's called) and although my DVDs look great, I have noticed that sometimes the TV shows that I watch appear a lot darker and in some scenes they appear kind of redish orange. For example, one show last night had a great shot of the character's face close up but then when the camera switched to another person who was in a somewhat lower lighting area of the scene the picture appeared kind of dull, dark and the colour just wasn't there as it was on the previous shot.

Is this a fault of TV shows and the fact that they're probably not that optimized? Could it be my set (doubtful)? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any replies/comments you folks may have.

Jose

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Most TVs have multiple video set-ups (e.g. "Vivid," "Movie," or "Pro") so you can have multiple settings for different sources or lighting conditions. Maybe you could set one for movies and one for TV shows? Just be sure that you never set your brightness or contrast too high.

-Chris

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I must say that watching the Winter Olympics in HD REALLY highlighted the benefits of an ISF calibration for me. The fleshtones on the women figure skaters were the most natural I've ever seen on video. The costume colors were stunning too!