What's new

What does this new "Copy Protected" logo on disc packages mean? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Started noticing this recently. Hope it's not some BS like they tried on CD's a few years ago, couldn't play them with some players. Anybody know if it's something new about how the DVD's are recorded, or just a new logo from the marketing types? I don't copy stuff, mainly concerned if it might restrict (future) playing ability.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Really...I don't! :D Not because I wouldn't think of doing it for any ethical reasons (I think I took "ethics" in school once), just because I'm too lazy to do it. Instead I look for cheap prices...

As mentioned, my concern is like for the protected CD's, which wouldn't play in my computers nor in my car...in this case it might be some future HD/standard-compatible DVD player I will undoubtedly get.

Anyway, the DVD's in question do seem to play fine in my computer DVD drives/burners (for data backup :) ).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Look at the picture- it means you can't hold a blank disc up to a purchased disc and have its contents transferred over! :D

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Soon DVDs will come with a sound chip that will play the theme from Dragnet when you press the FBI logo.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^ It might have been the version of Mulholland Drive starring Jerry Lewis...

It's the comment from the first link that the discs work in "most readers" that gets me. In the long term, I've always found copy protected software to eventually cause a problem that makes it unusable with some new device. But...I can see a method of copy protection that subverts specific copying software (as opposed to subverting copying hardware) to possibly not be a major problem (for me), if it's well done.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As long as Frank Drebin doesn't show up at your door.....the property damage alone could break you.

...and if Nordberg is with him....

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I'd like to know as well...

Just a slogan or something new that might cause playback problems now or in the future?

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
All it means, in my opinion...is that it will be harder (not impossible, hehe) to crack dvd's and make illegal copies of them on dvd-r. I haven't run into any problems playing any of those movies yet.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have not had any problems playing any of my many DVDs that display that particular logo on my Panasonic DVD-F87K player.

I have read on another forum that is dedicated to "backing up" DVDs to DVD-R that somehow errors in the DVD file structure are intentionally put on the disc. If I understand correctly this is to either stop or at least significantly slow down the DVD ripping software that people are using to copy DVDs.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
It's the Sony ARCCOS anti copy system. Quite unfortunately, for my players it becomes "anti-play".

The funny thing is that I still can copy those DVDs and play the copies perfectly on any of my players (but the original can only play on one of my DVD players)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Ha! it's a Yamaha DVD540. My Sony 550D (about 7 years old, but still can play any DVD and DVD-R) gives a "disc error" code.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Hmmm, another disk I have (Battle of the Bulge, WB) has the logo and also the words "...may be played only on licenced devices." Now just what does "licenced devices" mean? Anything that is a normal player, and not strictly software-driven (at a low level, like in the bulk copiers and some ripping SW)? Of course, they use the word "may" with the logo, and not "can", sorta means you shouldn't do it but we can't stop you... I still don't like the sound of this.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
DVDs that may or may not play on your DVD player? That's just great :emoji_thumbsup:. There are no guarantees in life right? If I pay $50 for a box set, why would I expect to play the DVDs on my DVD player? Maybe I should just authorize the studios to randomly and at will withdraw funds from my bank account? :confused:

I'm only thankful though that the studios won't just burn all that pesky old film in their vaults and sell the ashes for a quick buck

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I've been unable to rip the commentary tracks from the Star Wars DVDs, so that's probably an effect of this Copy Protection rubbish.

Honestly what is the point of it all?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks