What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by fabrizio, Apr 17, 2002.

1. fabrizio

fabrizio Agent

HI,

Still fairly new to this, been researching HT for a while...and still confused...anyways...

I went to a dealer in town who pushes Harmon Kardon and B&W speakers...he made me watch Matrix in their theater room. He had his lower end HK 7xx (7 something), and B&W 303's all the way around including center....sounded nice, but I wasn't blown away...

Why do I find my friend's and cousin's similar Yamaha 5xx series and PSB's all around to be more impressive? I hear that Yamaha's are considered bright? Does this mean I like bright better?

Just trying to understand which way I should go...

Any help?

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

When you say "blown away", do you mean in volume or clarity? I know with my first setup(Yamaha RX-V495 and Paradigm Mini Monitors) I blown away with just the whole DD5.1 setup. When I put in a Denon 1801 to replace the Yamaha I notice a smother more detailed sound which again blew me away. Now that I have seperates, I'm in a totally different world. What you have to remember when demoing between you brothers and the stores is 1. Your using two different setups. 2. The stores room is more than likely designed with HT in mind where as your brother isn't. This can lead to room effects that can change the sound you hear. Try other dealers who deal in Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc and see how each sounds in their respective demo rooms.

Kevin

3. fabrizio

fabrizio Agent

Thanks for replying...

For some reason to me, the effects sounded better on the Yamaha setup....i listened carefully to the HK for the bullets whizzing by, and the effect seemed better on the Yamaha...

I currently own a 2-channel Marantz Sr63 with a pair of Boston Acoustics CR85's....and I love the sound...again, not being an audiophile...they sound great to me....

What do you think would be a good match for my Boston's?

4. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Just to chime in here... I've noticed that this forum is biased against Yamaha quite a bit. Not sure why as I love the Yamaha sound. There's nothing wrong with Yamaha and I think it's a good option to consider. I think more people would be happy with Yamaha if their top models had better bass management, but their low end stuff is good bang for the buck. Of course the only thing that really matters is how it sounds to you. I own a HTR-5450 with Paradigm Studio40s. Some would tell me that this is a bad combo because it's way too bright, but it works for me. I'd like to upgrade my amp to something with a bit more power but chances are I'll stick with Yamaha (although I would consider others like Denon, Marantz and Onkyo as well).

- Mike

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

6. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

i, too, as i have said before, find this forum biased against yamaha. mine's great. perhaps you liked the sound of the psbs better than the b&ws?

7. fabrizio

fabrizio Agent

HI,

Maybe I do like the sound of the PSBs? Or i have just become accustomed to them...from going to my buddies a lot..and the B&W sounded too different for me?

I'm not going to change my front Boston's which i like a lot...so...i have to build around them...My Marantz seems to be a good match...however a Surround Marantz is a little pricey for me...

What would be a good match for them?

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Which PSBs do your friends own? The 300 series is B&W's low end line. If you're comparing superior PSBs you can expect a difference!

9. fabrizio

fabrizio Agent

TO be honest not entirely sure...i do know that they aren't the higher end...

my cousin has an all in-wall psb setup...my friend has..think PSB Atoms? all around

10. Mike Veroukis

Michael

11. fabrizio

fabrizio Agent

I guess they aren't Atoms...screwed up there....they are a smaller PSB...not too sure....

12. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

i have the yamaha rx-v2200 and boston speakers and the sound blew me away. the yamaha is so much more dynamic in sound than it used to be. they are not nearly as bright as they were. when comparing the 2200 to comparable models in denon, onkyo, hk, sony, and pioneer (although all great receiver) none caught my ear like the yamaha. the denon 3802 was close though but it was too warm. bostons are great speakers. i find that not many people brag about these speakers on the forum but to my ears they sound better than the deftechs, paradigms and klipch i conpared them to. all of these tests were blind tests too so i could stay away from any bias we may have had. boston speakers with the lynfield tweater are fantastic. the detail on the highs are amazing. hold on to those bostons you have. they will last forever. we have a pair of 12 year old a70 bostons that we use for b speakers, which i still think are the best two way floor speakers i have every heard. at any rate i would highly recommend the yamaha/boston combo. if you have any more questions let us know, good luck.

13. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Klipsch makes good speakers. I use to say they were harsh. (even when I wanted a pair) But there not. Really, it depends on what your room and electronics.

The OLD horn speakers will sound bright when paired with SS amps, or at least without a tube preamp.

Also, the lack of distortion of horn speakers make them sound (they are) MUCH louder. I own klipsch (and..well I won't say what else but there not horns, but better then bose) And at the lisoning levles Im use to, the volume is much lower with the new Klipsch speakers I have. EVERY speaker will be a tad bright above normal audio loving peoples listoning levles. (over 85db, really painfull over 100db)

Anyways, paradigm makes good speakers. I find them maby a LITTLE to harsh in the upper end at low SPL. I have been told that B&W speakers are "boring" but I have not heard them, so I can't say for sure.

I find that people without a trained ear are impressed by harshness. My old cone speakers would impress some of my friends who knew dick all, but I HATED the BLAIRING SOUND.

IMO, I would rather have my speakers to be a little "bright" then "warm." It's subjective, so try before you buy!

14. Bob J.

Bob J. Extra

Evan, I'm glad to hear your comments as I just ordered a Yamaha RX V2200 which I will use with Boston towers. I did try a comparison with the 3802 and the Marrantz 6200. I told the sales guy to A/B 'em and not tell me the brand name and run thru a series of sources. I could pick out the Yamaha every time, telling me I preferred the sound. I thought the 2200 sound was warmer then the 3802-strange thing about reputations-they aren't always true!

I also have a pr. of Klipsch towers driven by a Nakamichi AV10 receiver. The sound of the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over is incredible on that setup! While they might be a bit bright, I find I prefer that sound to the Denon, H-K or Marrantz or Sony.

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Alpha. The small PSBs are the Alphas. Yea, I'd consider them the competitive counterpart to the B&W 300 series. I like the PSBs better too.

16. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

My experience with low and mid range Yamahas a few years ago was that it was awesome in HT but lacked quite a bit in 2 channel stereo and no decent 5 channel stereo effect.

It was very thin sounding in 2 channel.

17. fabrizio

fabrizio Agent

I probably will be buying in the lower end....money not in abundance like others on here...maybe later..

anyways...that's why I am looking at the Yamaha's...not cause I think they are lower end...just seem to get more bang for the buck....

should I look at Onkyo/Denon? I like Marantz...but to get what Yamaha gives you in the 530/630 models...I'd be spending too much....too bad...

Maybe I should get friendly with that chick that won the 50 million in the States...

18. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

bob, i know what you mean about the 2200 almost sounding more warm than the 3802! i thought i was the only one in the world who thought that so i never said anything before [​IMG]. your right, reputations do not really mean much unless you actually go out and listen to these receivers. i am sure you will love the 2200. it has a ton of power with a great full sound. it will be a great match with your boston towers. i can't say enough good things about boston speakers. i was asounded at the detail that i heard with the boston /yamaha combination. sure you could hear the detail with other combos but for some reason it just seemed to sing with the yam/bos. anyway, enjoy your 2200, it is a great, well built receiver.

19. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Yamahas are good value. I like them. The 630 seems like a good deal. I believe it has pre-outputs which is a nice feature.

- Mike