What does this error message mean?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I keep getting the following illegal operation message while using Internet Explorer:

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    From my research many moons ago, ONE possible cause of IPFs usually has to deal with memory and memory management. Memory on a PC is stored in "pages" which are blocks of storage, whether that be blocks in RAM or blocks of virtual memory (on your hard drive). Now when a program requests certain data that's in your memory (virtual or not, the program is transparent to these issues, that's the job of the memory manager) and for some reason the memory manager tries to serve this "page" to the program (In your case, Internet Explorer) and there's a problem with that page, it'll return an Invalid Page Fault. Sometimes it can be caused by memory that's gone south, memory that isn't fast enough for your hardware, or problem with the memory manager. Or it of course could be a software bug. However, to debug such a thing, it is sometimes hard cause it could be any of your memory, L1/L2 cache, RAM, CPU memory, or even virtual memory on your hard drive. I had a problem with this, turned out I think my RAM was too slow and wound up buying 60ns RAM but the only way that I know is to play with your BIOS and turn off L1/L2 cache and stuff to try to isolate it to something. Getting new RAM might help too but until you can isolate it to hardware, it's tough to really pinpoint. IE/NS are memory hogs, one thing you might also try is more RAM, worth a shot except that RAM prices are kind of high these days.

Anyway, that's just a IPF in a nutshell, from what I know. I had some extra RAM DIMMs running around so I was able to isolate it to a RAM stick and then I simply replaced them and my IPFs went away... Good Luck!!

One thing you can also check is the voltages if you have a sensor, try to make sure your +3.3v and +5v is stable and not dropping too much cause cause you can have problems with that.

Jay

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Actually, try doing a complete reinstall of internet explorer. :)

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'm no kind of computer whiz but when i see a *.dll extension i automatically think: there's a problem with a driver. i think a complete reinstall (as suggested) would be in order.

kevin t

5. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I'm w/ Jay; check RAM first. I've had weird issues like that and traced it back to memory.

6. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Memory errors don't tend to manifest as single, reproducable errors. They tend to cascade and crash the machine.

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I had this error message when playing a particular PC game along with a lot of other people & some experts there also thought it to be some kind of a problem related to memory. That was about the only detail I can remember about it at the moment. (I've never had any problems before or since playing that particular game)

-Dan

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

From the Microsoft knowledge base:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q298098
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q175379
    There is also a known problem with the Gator software: