What's new

What does the Sony DRC modes do? (1 Viewer)

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
I did read the manual, but I can't say that I notice a huge difference when I switch between interlaced and progressive. Could someone give a better description of their functions, and which modes I should use and when. For example should I use progressive on cable TV viewing? If it helps the model is a KDP-65XBR2.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
John,
My set is an HW40 model, but I don't think it differs from the XBR in this respect.
I do know that "interlaced" is 960i, and "progressive" is 480p. These are for use with regular tv like cable and ntsc satellite. Sony seems to think that 960i is better for sports and other material with a lot of fast-moving stuff in the picture, though I've never seen a difference. I leave the set on "interlaced" for 960i when watching everything but HD or dvd.
"Cinemotion" turns on the 3/2 pulldown, for film sourced material. I think this only has an effect when watching interlaced dvd signals fed into the component input, but I could be wrong. I also don't know whether choosing "cinemotion" gives a 480p or 960i scanrate.
I use a progressive scan player, and the DRC is turned off when the set is fed a 480p signal.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks