What does the bottom layer of dual layer disc look like?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by GarySchrock, Nov 1, 2003.

1. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Ok, on a dual layer disc, what does the bottom layer (the one closest to the laser) look like if it's not attached to the rest of the disc? I'm kinda curious, because as I was going through my latest copy of the looney tunes set, I discovered a thin, flexible plastic disc in the tray. The disc has a dvd inner hub, and I can see barcodes and numbers around the inner hub. In fact, holding up to the light, I can see what looks to be a faint fogging that clearly covers the data area of a normal dvd, and it gets clear again at the edge. Since I'm not exactly sure what the process on how dvd's are physically made, I was kinda curious. That being said, it doesn't look like it's from the disc that was in that tray, because my disc looks intact (although the set still looks like it has to go back, because the first disc has a scratch near the edge, anyone know how far out the data goes? this would be my second return on this set). Was just kinda odd to find in the set.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Think of the open "Gravity Drive" from Event Horizon. Then never ask what the inside of something that should never be opened looks like again.[​IMG]

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I'd recommend getting a chisel and splitting the disc lengthways - after all, it's already been glued together once...