What's new

What does red push look like? (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I have been reading another thread about the new 47" Panasonic 16x9 set, which I'm thinking about purchasing, and one of the owners of the set thought it had too much red push. What does this actually look like when you are watching a movie? I currently have a 27" Panasonic Superflat, and I think everything looks fine, but occationally some of the areas that I think should look black have an annoying red tint to them (also when the DVD player has a blank black screen, it sometimes appears a bit red) Is that what people are talking about when they mention red push? It's not really that big of a deal, I just notice it once in awhile, usually in darker scenes, though not always even then.
Brian

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
...some of the areas that I think should look black have an annoying red tint to them.
This sounds like a grayscale issue. Red push is a color decoder problem where the reds are overemphasized relative to blues and greens (and all combinations thereof). Imagine everyone looking like they've spent too much time in the sun.
What you are seeing as reddish blacks likely means that your grayscale is calibrated too low. If you are using a Warm color temperature setting try Medium and see if that helps (at least in lieu of a formal calibration). A search on this forum for "grayscale" will give you all the information you need to more fully describe what I'm talking about.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Brian, Jay is right...what you're experiencing is a grayscale issue. I just gave someone a 10 year old Panasonic that I had no use for and it had a terrible red tint in the low end of the grayscale. I suggest using the Avia DVD test disc to check both your color decoder and your grayscale. Eliminating the red tint from the grayscale will either entail perhaps selecting a "cooler" (really hotter) color temperature setting or going into the service menu for your tv and lowering RCUT (or equivalent) a few ticks.
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks