What's new

What does RCA stand for? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The brand stands for Radio Corporation of America, and I believe the connection type comes from the company as RCA/Victor was the developer of the commerical Phonograph machine and early radio equipment that first utilized the connector.

-Vince

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think that RCA brought the Victor company sometime way back. Anywho, RCA invented the RCA plug & socket combo, but yes, mainly for use with record players.

Glenn

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The RCA type connector may predate electronic phonographs - remember the early phonographs were acoustic only. My grandparents were ham radio operators back into the 1920's and IIRC there were RCA jacks on some of their really old radio gear.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
JVC stands for Japan Victor Corporation, which was sort of a spin-off of the Victor part of RCA/Victor. Just a bit of trivia..

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I thought a Japanese company bought Victor Co and renamed the company to JVC, not trying to do a spin-off of any sort. Anyone else got some info on this?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
And all this time here I am thinking it stood for Really Cheap Accessories!
WHY DIDN'T SOMEBODY TELL ME!? :D

Kevin T

Screenwriter
jvc is the victor corporations american (and possibly european) branch. if you looked for jvc products in japan you would only find the same product labeled victor.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks