What's new

what does progessive scan with 2:3 pulldown menu mean? (1 Viewer)

Kamal_K

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to purchase a new dvd player and have seen the term progessive scan with 2:3 pulldown menu. what does this mean? I am also thinking of purchasing the harman kardon dvd 25, what do you think of this?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
All progressive scan DVD players should do 3-2 pulldown (or 2-3 pulldown) correctly if the DVD is correctly pressed.
Film source DVD has two interlaced video fields for each film frame (1/24'th second) stored on the disk. The player creates the 3-2 pulldown by re-using some of the material, so there are 60 fields per second (interlaced) or 60 frames per second (progressive).
The problem arises if the DVD is not correctly pressed or if the source material was not a 24 frame per second film, then some progressive players give a better picture than others. I don't know which models do it best, but those with Silicon Image chipsets are extremely good and do everything.
If the DVD player has a menu to select 3-2 pulldown vs. video mode or something like that, chances are it is not the best. The need for manual selection usually means that the progressive scan circuits are less sophisticated.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks