What does OUTLAW do with their returned 950's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Werner, Jun 16, 2002.

1. David Werner

David Werner Stunt Coordinator

Have been reading at the OUTLAW saloon, and there are a few people who commented on returning their 950's. What does OUTLAW do with these? Do they offer B-Stock? And if so, is there a waiting list? [​IMG]
    But seriously, [​IMG]I would buy a B-Stock if it would Speeeeeed up being able to finally aquire a 950.

2. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

I bet they are going to sell them as new units. I doubt that thay can afford reducing the price and selling B-stock at this time.

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

We'll probably never know, but with the amount of units that seem to be going back. I'd also bet that they end up selling used units as new.

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

It's against the law to re-sell as new. Most likely they'll offer a small discount and label them B-Stocks. They could also raise the price of new (non-reserved) shipments to help offset the cost.

5. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I am not sure of the definition of B-stock. I always assumed this meant a unit that was somehow defective and was repaired to original spec. Given that definition I believe it is illegal to sell B-stock items as new.

If a working unit is returned because the customer simply didn't like it, I would assume that unit could be sold as new. However, most companies would probably label it as open box/customer return or something to that affect.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind buying units labeled as new in the latter example. I feel that is part of the price you pay when when a company has a liberal return policy. I personally don't have a problem with that.

-Keith

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

If I remember correctly there are a few internet dealers that sold Outlaw products (I think either it was onecall or jandr that did for a while) and this might be the destination of these pre-amps. If I remember correctly there were only 5 alpha testers to me which wasn't enough.

7. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Or maybe they could be stripped, retested/modified and sold as Atlantic Tech units? [​IMG]

8. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Charelston Heston was WRONG....they acually grind them up and make SOYLENT GREEN out of them!!!!!!!!!

9. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I would say they would sell as new if there's no cosmetic damage to it.

10. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

Outlaw indicated at the time of the original drop-out bug that the small number of units returned then would be kept for testing and not re-sold. I would think that the additional returns since then will end up for sale as B-stock.

Returned units can be sold as B-stock (either refurbished if returned due to defect, or simply re-packed if returned during the 30-day trial period), but can not legally be sold as new.

From what I understand, the online retailers like AV123 just pass their orders on to Outlaw for shipping -- I don't think they keep their own stock of Outlaw equipment.

11. TomH

TomH Second Unit

It looks like all the other manufacturers use Ubid as a clearing house for a steady stream of "refurb" equipment.
    Maybe 950's will end up there if there are more than expected.

12. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

What makes you think it is illegal to sell returned items as new? If an item requires repair that is another story, but if a customer returns an item for no fault it can certainly be repackaged and sold as new. It happens everyday in most of the stores we all shop at, from Lord & Taylor to Wal-Mart. The CE industry is no different than Sears.

Ken

13. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I've seem lots of items in stores like Walmart, Kmart etc.. with clear tape on them that showed they were opened and re-packaged. Heck I've even bought one or two items packaged this way because it was the only one left on the shelf. I even had to return one of those items because all the screws were missing.
    So yes Ken is right. Returned goods can be sold as new. [​IMG]
    If Kmart knows it and does it. I'm sure online dealers know it and do it as well.

14. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I guess that is one of the advantages to being an early adopter [​IMG]

15. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

As long as the customer knows it's a returned item, there is nothing wrong. To not inform the customer constitutes fraud which is illegal. It's a totally different situation with B&Ms. At B&Ms, you can pick up and examine the product and you can choose to buy or not to buy a re-wrapped item. With mail-order, you have no choice, you take what is shipped to you. Personally, if a company ships out products representing them as new but were in fact, customer returns, and didn't tell me, I would never do business with them, ever. Who knows what else they're not telling you. Would you do business with someone who did not disclose everything you needed to know to make an informed decision?

16. David Werner

David Werner Stunt Coordinator

17. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

I'm a manufacturers representative by trade. Please believe me when I tell you that 95% of all returned items are repackaged and sold as new. The only exception is those items that are titled, like cars. Heck I have a friend in jewelry and they take wedding rings on trade and if the settings are good they clean them up and put tags on them as new. Just think, your wife could be wearing a ring that went through a divorce already[​IMG] It happens in every industry and this one is no exception. I don't think anyone over the age of 21 hasn't purchased a "new" item that wasn't returned for one reason or another. It's not illegal, immoral, or even bad business, it just is.
    Ken

18. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I can tell you that I work for a national mid-fi retailer and we ARE NOT ALLOWED to sell ANY item that has been open ,EVEN IF IT IS JUST CHECKED FOR COLOR, as "brand new".
    We have stickers that have an area for salesman to write an explanation of WHY the unit was opened, and we fill them out every time a unit comes back...
    this includes the SLEW of equipment that ,though obviously never taken out of the box, was returned after x-mas with the top (only) opened and all of the goodies still in the shrink wrap inside...it sucks because we take a hit on this equipment even though it has never been plugged in...BUT IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!!

19. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Hey there are even stores that just put items back on the shelf even if it is broken!
    I purchased a electronic door lock from a store, it was not working, so I returned it, got another one (last one on the shelf), it didn't work either (although better than the first),returned it and marked the box, becasue we checked the shelf and low and behold our returned item was there for sale again! Went back a few days later and the one we marked was there as well! It clearly didn't work and this has to be the most annoying thing (purchasing a defective item) I guess they were just hoping someone would buy it and just not return it! Although it was like $50 I doubt someone would just decide to not bother! [​IMG]