what does one do with an "older" 16:9 TV...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Anthony*B, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

like my Samsung TXM3096 that appears to have only 1
    "universal" custom picture setting? Apparently I cannot
    calibrate each input or scan rate, I can only calibrate 1 & that setting is used for ALL inputs or scan rates...this seems like a very short-sighted OBVIOUS oversight on Samsung's part (or am I missing something really obvious)...
    It wasn't even a particularly big deal until I came into posession of a Zenith DVB318 (making a total of 3 devices inputting signals: 2 dvd players & 1 SD satellite receiver), to which I performed a quick Avia calibration (looks pretty great, but not quite as great as I expected, but that's a tale for the A/V forum [​IMG] )...
    Now the satellite picture (via S-video [​IMG] ) looks significantly worse, since the calibrated settings for the Zenith at upconverted 1080i were significantly different than the calibrated settings for my old Cyberhome 500 (which didnt fare nearly as badly in comparison as I thought it would)...
    Am I just out of luck? or is there something I am missing? Buying a new TV is unfortunately not an option for the foreseeable future...any help or comments at all would be greatly appreciated, as this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that eats away at my sanity for days [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

My HDTV doesn't do very well on calibration for different sources either. I have just got real good at changing it for the different sources myself. A little bit of a PITA I agree, but not so bad, I have gotten used to it.

I just ordered the same dang player, so maybe it will increase the frustration of it for me as well.

3. Anthony*B

i wonder if maybe the only option is to calibrate each input, write down the TV settings, & keep them around for when you want to watch another input's content (if you are really in the mood to watch something in it's highest quality...what a PITA indeed...sigh...
    you wont be disappointed w/ the Zenith...maybe not as "wowed" as people are saying, but it is clearly heads & shoulders above cheap-o players to my eyes at least...for me, the increased "perceived" resolution wasnt as impressive as the naturalistic, beautiful progressive image(i had been running interlaced before)...i got/am getting mine for 150$ from a local rent-to own type place...it has never been rented & includes everything except box, so im happy on that front, $ plus i got to rent it & take it home to see if i really wanted it (I do [​IMG] )...works out perfectly for me...i couldnt find the d**n thing in stock anywhere & it was under my nose all along, about 7 miles from my house [​IMG] woot!

4. John S

John S Producer

That is what I find.... Only if I am really screening a movie or presentation from a source will I go through the trouble of changing it for that source.

It is really not as much of a PITA as I thought it would be. I am excited about the player though. I tried to find stock in town here, but no go, nada....

I paid $160.00 including shipping. The improvement for me should be dramatic. I have a native 4:3 set that has a native widescreen mode, but only for 1080i, so the player for widescreen movies whould provide a substantial benefit.

I ordered right away when I started reading threads about them taking the 1080i over component video out of the player, probably just a roomer, but still, I ordered. I expect the player this week.

5. Anthony*B

Jim, I'm not sure if i can calibrate via the service menu or not...I am not an "advanced user" by any means (i know enough to get myself in trouble [​IMG] ), & I have never seen a "guide" anywhere as to how to do this on this particular model...it seems like the "universal" color controls would override them anyway, no? ideally, they should have simply put more than 1 "custom" setting in the set...by all means, if you know how to calibrate via the service menu, shed some light! (it would seemingly be impossible though, because dont you need to be able to see the test patterns to calibrate? forgive me if these are silly questions, I've calibrated w/ Avia several times 7 am still pretty sure I'm not doing it very well [​IMG] )

6. Anthony*B

ahh, tht makes a bit more sense now....actually Jim, I suppose the satellite picture was never calibrated....the settings w/ the old dvd player were acceptable (though certainly not even approaching great) when watching SD satellite...
    the 1080i from the DVD player looks light years ahead of the satellite feed of course, & the more I watch the 1080i, the more I realize that it IS significantly better than the 480i I was using from my cyberhome (probably as much due to the prog. scan as the "resolution"...the Zenith produces a VERY natural, realistic, film-like picture, where as the Cyberhome produces a coarser, more "garish" picture...some discs (as reported) show
    more improvement than others, such as Titan A.E (beautiful, velvety look) The Cell (keep in mind these are just ones i've had a chance to look at), Toy Story (wow), Finding Nemo (looked much more natural & less "cartoony")