What's new

What does native 16:9 really mean? (1 Viewer)

Fernando Schaeffer

Auditioning
I've been reading many projector reviews and articles lately and the term "native 16:9 widescreen" has been mentioned a lot. Can anyone explain what this really means?
I have an Infocus LP-340V projetor. Is this unit native 16:9? If so, how do I take full advantage of this feature, that is, do I need to set my DVD player to play 16:9 or does it play it automatically depending on the movie, etc..)
Regards,
Fernando

Fernando Chen

Auditioning
It means that the dlp chip or lcd panel is at the 16:9 aspect ratio. The infocus projector that you have is a 4:3 dlp projector. It has a widescreen mode, but it just takes the anamorphic video input and compresses it to the 16:9 part of the 4:3 panel. So basically, your not using the top and bottom parts of the panel in that case.
Fernando Chen

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Since your projector is not native 16:9, the easiest thing to do is to set your DVD player to 4:3 and then the player will automatically deliver the correct video to the projector.
You can also try it both ways, setting the player to 16:9, playing an anamorphic DVD and adjusting the projector for the best picture and see if the quality surpasses what I said earlier.
If the projector's DLP panel is but 480 pixels high, then the difference between setting the player to 4:3 versus adjusting the aspect ratio at the projector (if possible) will be slight.
If the projector's DLP panel is 600 or more pixels high, the ideal is to have the DVD player in 16:9 and the ability to custom stretch the picture on the projector display to anything you like. This way you can find some sweet spot with a minimum of moire patterns and almost correct proportins. Unfortunately this may not be easy or possible.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks