What does it sound like when a sub "bottoms" out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_Ro, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

I just recently got an SVS 20-39pci. I calibrated using the Avia disc and I must say that it has added some serious "oomph" to my video games and movies. But I'm just curious as to how far I can push the sub. So my question is, when a sub bottoms out, is it really noticeable? And in another thread I heard about subwoofer "fluttering". Is that the same things as bottoming a sub out?

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    If your sub bottoms out, you'll know it instantly. It's a sickening clunk that really doesn't sound like anything else.

3. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

Thanks for your response. So does your sub bottom out due to being too loud, or making the sub go lower than it can handle?

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd say lower and louder than it can handle causes bottoming out.

Fluttering is air noise as it gets sucked in and out of the port. Flared ports help reduce this noise, but can still be there.

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Bottoming out is from over-excursion (driver moves too far in the gap and hits the ends). Sounds like a "clack" usually.

6. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I think it sounds a lot like dropping an empty box (like a shoebox) on a hard floor. Not so much what I would call a 'clack' or a 'thunk'.

Larry

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Sounds more like a pop or a fart.

8. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon

9. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

I have also heard that on the SVS-PC the green light on the back would flicker to red when pushed too hard. I have been wondering about the same problem since I would hate to cause any damage to my PCi too. But since the back of the sub is facing the wall it's kindda hard for me to see it flickering... [​IMG]

10. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got my 25-31 PCi on order. I'm fairly certain that if I bottom mine out, I'll know because there will be a cop at the door.
    [​IMG]

11. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

I too have an SVS 20-39PC sub and i have never heard an audible "bottom out". Instead of bottoming out or making harsh sounds it just cancels the bass. So if you have it set too loud and too high for some scenes you just won't hear any bass. As you gradually lower the bass volume or master volume you will hear the bass return.

12. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

Well I just E-mailed SVS and got a response back from Ron. He says that an SVS makes a loud "Clack" sound. He also said that the limiters make it harder to bottom it out compared to the CS series. And if the sub does stop bass output before it reaches it's bottoming point I guess I don't have anything to fear. I appreciate the help you guys offered.