What's new

what does it mean when you turn your /tv/amp/whatever on and the lights dim? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I thought I read someone here mention it means something is wrong with the wiring, but I'll be damn if I can find it again. Anyone know or remember?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It means the ampacity of the wiring can't handle the (temporary) inrush current of the device you just switched on.

Is this the answer you wanted?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If they only dim momentarily it's normal and nothing to worry about. Receivers and most tvs have capacitors in their power supplys that take a lot of juice to charge up when the unit is first turned on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You've got L.E.S., Lazy Electron Syndrome. Many of the electrons are flabby, sitting around all day, doin' nothin. And when finally called upon to power something up, they're too weak to do the job so they've got to get help from their buds in the other appliances. What you see is a brief slump in everything else as all the electrons congregate to get the new thing up and running.

Mostly they need exercise, like playing the stereo loud for long periods of time. This gets the electrons really going!

;)

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
Just don't overdo it on the electron exercise program, or you might accidentally let the Magic Smoke out. You don't want that.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I had that too. You just have too much junk plugged into one circuit! To solve it, I brought an extension cord - a really havy duty one, and ran my amp into a circuit on the nearest plug that was on a different circuit - in my hallway.

The alternative is to have another circuit put in. New wires would have to be run for it. Sort of dedicated.

I like the silica idea, though! :)

Glenn

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

only thing on the circuit is two 100w bulbs, a tv, and an amp. clicking the amp out of standby shouldn't bump the lights this hard. Hasn't at any other house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks