What does it mean when an area swells up immediately after hitting it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Oct 7, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

In the middle of the night I got up to get a drink, and tripped and fell on my right arm and knee. They both proceeded to swell up immediately, with lots of pain in my knee.Ididn't dislocate my knee, and could still bend it with alot of pain due to putting pressure on the swelling. I didn't notice the swelling on my arm till afterwards because it didn't hurt. The swelling on my knee was the size of a baseball, and the swelling on my arm was the size of a grape. Both have gone down significantly, but my knee is still sore and stiff. Think I did any damage to my knee?

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Swelling or Inflammation is an normal reaction by the body when it recognizes injury. The body does that to prevent the injured part from moving so it will heal properly. Anti-Inflammatories such as Advil, Motrin, Aspirin, Aleve will take the swelling down but increase the amount of time it will take to heal.

Jeff

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Get out that ice pack and ice it down. When I was little I was always falling over and hurting myself. Never broke anything but twisted pleny of ankles. They always swelled up like baseballs. Would always wrap my ankle in ice and that helped a lot.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

5. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I'm no physician (but I married one), but I think that swelling means that you've done some damage at the cellular level. Some bodily fluids get into the bloodstream that are not normally there so your body mounts an immune response by sending white blood cells to attack the foreign object. The resultant carnage of dead cellular material accumulates and causes swelling until the body has time to carry it away to your kidneys where it's filtered out of your blood.

I believe that swelling causes increased pressure on the area and more cellular damage. Icing an injury reduces this secondary damage.