What's new

what does it do / what should I expect from home theater (1 Viewer)

DEG203

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Geist
I've had a Yamaha home theater for a few years. My wife gave it to me on my birthday so I really put a lot of effort into setting it up. The problems are I really don't understand the benefit of home theater and I'm not too interested in gadgets. It seems to me it is just a set of speakers and on some movies the sound effects come from different directions that correspond with that action. Is there something else it should be doing? Otherwise to me it is just a really expensive set of speakers that requires an extra remote to operate.
The reason I'm posting is were getting ready to remodel and if there really isn't any benefit to the home theater other than speakers i would rather get rid of it and use the tv's stereo. The TV has great speakers and it only requires one remote to work the sound and the screen.
I totally understand people that enjoy this equipment as a hobby-- I'm just really not into it myself.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That would depend on which AV system was purchased. Most AVR(these days...as we don't know how old this Yamaha is) come with a remote that will run EVERYTHING. Granted the "bottom 1 or 2" from each manufacturer is only going to cover audio. But add in the cost of a "decent" remote...and you can have an AVR with one.
And some people just aren't interested in "surround sound". My gf is content watching The Dark Knight in stereo. I cringe if I have to watch the Military Channel in stereo.
Couple of guesses about the "odd sound location". Maybe one of the speakers is swapped(like SR for SL). I've made that goof up myself. There are documented "soundtrack goofs". One of the biggest of all time was The Nightmare Before Christmas on VHS. The complete audio track is swapped left to right(they eventually corrected it, but several thousand made it out to consumers).
Bottom line, like TV itself...there are those that "don't need it". If you like the sound of a TV and "extra speakers" is just fluff...remove the fluff.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
The TV has great speakers and it only requires one remote to work the sound and the screen.
As the push for flatter and flatter TVs has happened - the TV speakers that come in these new TV's have been flattened and shrank as well - where having a pair of speakers that fit into a slim space became more importantant to how they actually sound. They make everything sound as if you are listening to cheap ear-buds....there is no bass and no high end - and trying to hear what people are saying can become a challenge.
As for the remote - if ease of use is a big requirement - you can get a programmable remote that has a 1 button - turn on everything and make all of the connections for me - option.
and if there really isn't any benefit to the home theater other than speakers i would rather get rid of it and use the tv's stereo
Most of us get into this hoby to have a "theater experence at home" - without the hasteles of having to go to the movies. There isn't an $8.00 small bag of pop-corn, no tweens on cell phones, and the ability to pause if you have to use the rest room. I have a big family, and Friday night family movie nights are one of our highlights for the week.
A true theater setup will emersue you into the movie - where you can hear and feel the action the way the movie director and sound editor intended it to be.
If you are happy with the sound coming from your TV speakers, and are not interisted in having a movie experence at home - then it is no big deal to listen to a movie or TV from the internal speakers.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
If you don't see the benefit, us telling you anything is moot. Don't worry about it and just enjoy your TV (and the $$$ savings).

DEG203

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Geist
Thanks everyone,
For me it has just been more hassle than fun. Typically i just want to flip the tv on at 10 and have the timer shut it off after Leno's monologue. The home theater system requires three remotes to watch a movie-- I can program the remote to control the other devices but then I need to use the guide book to figure out what button to press so I don't accidentally cause a satellite to fall out of orbit. I find it easier to watch on the old CRT set I have, one remote a lot less buttons and a sleep timer that doesn't require a code to activate.
Gary, You may have given me the best advice, I don't watch much TV, I really don't even go to movies anymore and, as mentioned in my thread starter i'm really not into the hobby aspect of home theater systems. Simplify, enjoy and save money.
Thanks all

DEG203

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Geist
Id pay extra for a theater that actually restricted kids at an R movie

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The "R rated" settings are in your BD/DVD player and whatever you use for TV(Directv/Dish Net/TW/Com/Uverse).
It also appears you don't have an HDTV???
Most modern TV in the last 3 years have incorporated the ability to set ratings. Only works via HDMI though.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The fact that you're O.K. with the way your tv's speakers sound was enough for me. Home Theater isn't for everyone and it looks like it's not for you either. Tell your wife "thanks for the thought" and sell the yamaha at a garage sale. But don't let that Yamaha system be the only one you ever hear. If you have the chance sometime in the future to listen to a really good (but not too expensive) HT system then give it a listen. A well setup and calibrated HT with the proper equipment (including a single universal remote that controls everything) just might let you hear what all the fuss is about. If you still don't see it then at least listening to someone elses setup didn't cost you anything. And a big :tu: for at least taking the time to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks