What does "impediance matching" mean???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Craig, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

For example: I know it has something to do w/ multi-sets of speakers hooked to a receiver so it doesn't overload the receiver...

It says 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x which I assume means something in relation to the number of speakers...

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Before we get to impedence matching, you need to understand:

Serial Connection - You have 3 speakers A, B, C. The signal flows from the RED binding post on the amp into A, then out and into B, then out and into C, and the output from C goes into the BLACK binding post on the amp.

What the Amp thinks is happening is you have 1 speaker with an impedence of A + B + C. So 3 8 ohm speakers look like a single 24 ohm speaker to the amp.

Parallel - You have 3 speakers A, B, C. The red wire from all 3 speakers are tied together, then attached to the red binding post. The black wires from all the speakers are tied together and attached to the black binding post.

What the amp thinks is happening is you have 1 speaker with an impedence of 1/[1/A + 1/B + 1/C]. so 3 8 ohm speakers look like a 2.3 ohm speaker.

This will draw a lot of current and can damage your amp.

Does this help?

3. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

So impediance is equal to total amt of ohms from x amount of speakers???

And matching is making the total ohms of the speakers where the receiver can handle it???

So what does the 2x, 4x,6x,8x mean???

Also I know by reducing the ohms to low amounts, can damage the speakers and/or the amp...

What happens when you put a large ohms loads on a receiver???

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. Tony Granatelli

Tony Granatelli Stunt Coordinator

Being a Car Stero buff, maybe I can elucidate this topic...
    In my opinion, it would appear that Brad is thinking about purchasing Accumatch Linear Magnetic Couplers by Veritas Audio Technologies.
    This device changes the impedance that the amp "sees". When used with a speaker (let's say 8 ohms) there are various settings such as 2x, 4x etc which will change the impedance the amp sees. You can put a 1 ohm load and squeeze some hardcore wattage out of your amp, without screwing up the soundstage by adding more speakers.
    Basically, you can draw more wattage out of a good quality amp this way, and you can also fry an amp or the speaker if you don't know what you're doing.
    Tony Mr.500 Granatelli