What's new

What does everyone think of their Grease DVD's ? (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I quess that I am lucky one to find it in the keepcase rather than the crapboard...sorry...cardboard case.

I was prepared for it, and what I saw was not near as bad as I expected, but again, put me down for someone that just want that happy with it period.

Being the Friday the 13th fan that I am, I have honestly been pleased more by the transfer on those films than I am this movie that is to be highly regarded. I really do hope that on the 2004 edition that it is true treated in such a matter fitting to this film.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
ust got through watching it. Seeing it in Widescreen was a revelation.
Where've you been, Dave? The VHS widescreen version has been out for a year if not more. :)
Oh, wait ... VHS. Nevermind. :D
Hmmm.... Based on what everyone is saying, I might just tell Suncoast to put my reserved copy back into the fold and apply my down-payment on something else like Amadeus.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm no expert on the subject, but my guess is that Grease was cleaned up at the video level, not at the film level. Way back when we had our L.A. HTF meet and Paramounts showed us their forthcoming restoration efforts, there was a shot of Grease in the TV room that was digitally cleaned up (had a before / after wipe that showed the color restoration) on the videotape machine.

Perhaps for the '04 they can go and restore the film properly and then do a new HD transfer from pristine print sources.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with this version for now. $15.99 ain't bad, and I love this movie to death. Spent last night playing the song chapters and singing along, much to the horror of my roomie and my girlfriend.

Could it have been better? Absolutely. But I'm not pissed at this effort like I was with, say, the SECOND version of Stargate.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
regarding the format misprint:

The outer slipcase has the correct widescreen notice at the bottom. But the inner folder which contains the DVD and songbook is mislabeled at the bottom to read "formatted to fit your TV.", even though it still says WIDESCREEN at the top, in big beautiful letters!

Someone in graphics layout wasn't watching.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Felix, you misunderstand my post. This was a restoration done via VIDEO, not film. So that's why it's acceptable at the DVD level (not great but not horrid). This needs a full FILM restoration which I believe has NOT been done.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Where've you been, Dave? The VHS widescreen version has been out for a year if not more.
Yeah, we stuck with our existing store-bought VHS rather than buying that...decided to wait on the DVD we knew had to be coming sooner or later. We simply stopped watching the VHS, like we've done with so many others, while waiting for the DVD. Coal Miner's Daughter comes to mind. :)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Musicals should always include chapter stops that take you directly to the start of every major song - NOT to the beginning of the scene so you can wade through all the dialogue leading up to the musical number. There is only one chapter stop in GREASE that takes you to the start of a song without all the crap before it !

Is this such a difficult concept to grasp ????

Gary_E

Second Unit
I picked up GREASE today in BJs Wholesale Club (a COSTCO/SAM'S CLUB clone). It is in an AMARY keepcase that was on display inside one of those long, plastic, locking security cases you have to get removed/unlocked before exiting the store.
My guess is the wholesale clubs insisted on the normal packaging so they could secure it in a locking case.

-Gary

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to Kevin M:

Quote:

You don't read Ron's Reviews then?

I was refering to the Saturday Night Fever DVD. I was expecting it to arrive today, but no dice, unfortunately :frowning:but it will definately arrive tomorrow.

I hate Grease. It's one of those films that everyone seems to like regardless of how screwed-up it is. Randal who? Oh, that famous filmmaker. :thumbsdown:

Rocky Horror is another one. Give me De Palma's Phantom Of The Paradise any day! :emoji_thumbsup: "I give you the future: BEEF!"
htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif

I read Ron's Reviews religiously. But I'm siding with Peter Bracke at DVD File on this one: I'm not a fan of Grease, but if I was, I'd be mighty pissed at that shoddy DVD. A shoddy DVD of any popular film is herecy, but Grease is a veritable movie-institution! It would be like the original Star Wars out as a 1 disc only with DD5.1 and a 20 minute interview with Lucas and a few deleted scenes in 1.85:1 letterbox or something. Shoddy. Lacklustre. Quick-sell... etc. :thumbsdown:

And yet, Forrest Gump was a 2 disc...? :frowning:How do Paramount make decisions?

The Grease DVD should have been (and possibly will eventually be) like this...

Disc 1
New digitally remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer from restored film elements
New remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
New remastered DTS 5.1 surround sound
Restored original 2.0 stereo
Audio commentary by Randal Kleiser and various cast and crew
Song selection: Go directly to each song!

Disc 2
Brand new retrospective documentary (60-90 mins.)
Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Kleiser (2.35:1 anamorphic, DD2.0)
Trailers
TV spots
More...

Something like that.

Peace out,

Gordy

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Gordon.....I thought you were probably referring to SNF in your other post.
But how did you get it delivered so early? It's an Oct. 8 release (in US anyway). Was it a 09/24 release in Scotland? Anyway, start a new SNF thread when you get it. I've been wanting that one for a long while! :)
BTW, Gordy, your "proposed" Grease SE edition sounds like a winner to me! Put in a lengthy Photo Gallery and you've got a sale! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to David VP:
The Saturday Night Fever DVD I ordered from www.play247.com was the region 1 edition! That's one heckuva pre-release, eh? It should arrive tomorrow, if all goes swiftly! :D I'll try and post a thread tomorrow...
The proposed Grease: 25th Anniversay Edition would be easy to produce - like it could have been in the first place. But I'm not a fan of the movie - give me Allan Arkush's Rock And Roll Highschool and I'll be a happy chappy! :)
I hope that the Serpico DVD is high-quality.
Paramount are apparently going to release Lindsay Anderson 1968 anti-Establishment classic, If.... on December 2nd on region 2 in Britain with an audio commentary by Malcolm McDowell and screenwriter David Sherwin! Interested? :D
Take it easy, Dave...
Gordy

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I almost always agree with Ron's reviews but in this case I don't. I think the video quality is subpar even for a 70's film. I am watching it projected to 120" so perhaps the defects are more glaring. The transfer is soft and undefined, grainy and generally not pleasing to look at. I also have the laserdisc from 1998 and it looks to be the exact same transfer. Perhaps Criterion will get a chance to take a wack at it (yeah right!).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Musicals should always include chapter stops that take you directly to the start of every major song - NOT to the beginning of the scene so you can wade through all the dialogue leading up to the musical number. There is only one chapter stop in GREASE that takes you to the start of a song without all the crap before it !

Is this such a difficult concept to grasp ????

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
So-so transfer.
Shoddy packaging.
Negligible features.
This sounds like the M.O. for a Friday the 13th sequel, not something as universally beloved as Grease!
What I'd like to know: Aside from Randal Kleiser's interview comments, has Paramount made mention of this '2004 Special Edition'?
If not, that's just another thing to be disappointed in.
Yes, it's great to finally own this movie on DVD but I'm honestly a bit stunned at how lackluster this release is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks