What's new

what does everyone think of the movie "the legend of bagger vance"? (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I myself enjoyed it alot. Ebert and Roeper gave it a thumbs up and a thumbs down.
One things for fure, Matt damon picks better movie roles then Ben Affleck.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it, but I know that it's probably not the movie for everyone. Robert Redford movies are very mellow, but fairly straight forward and never difficult to understand. He is THAT INDEPENDENT, but I actually preferred Legend of Baggar Vance over River Runs Through It. The message in Legend is probably a lot more "simple" and may not have the depth of River, but I found it more entertaining and uplifting. You don't have to like golf to enjoy it. Overall, I would say it's a LIKABLE movie, but not outstanding.
Get it if it's cheap and you have extra $$ to spare.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I'll watch a Robert Redford movie anyday, and that was why I had eagerly anticipated this movie before it came out. That being said, I don't think very highly of the movie. The film has some beautiful shots, and when Portman's music isn't overbearing, it's beautiful, but the ideas associated with the golf sequences were too easy and cliched for me. Perhaps it's just been used too many times, or perhaps it's just too simple an answer to performing well at sports; no matter what, I didn't believe Will Smith's character's preaching would help Damon at all, and that's why it mainly failed to connect with me.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I liked it. But I'm a pretty big golf fan and there are so few decent movies about the sport... that and I'm a sucker for slower, drawn-out films.
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I never saw Bagger Vance but I loved A River Runs Through It. That, and Quiz Show have to be my favorite Redford films (that I've seen).
------------------
Todd.
"Ah, mercury, sweetest of the transitional metals..."
- Sealab 2021

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I saw it a couple of months ago....and am having difficulty remembering much about it, which is NOT a good sign!
Average movie at best, as far as I recall.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed this movie! Like many movies, it strayed a little from the plot of the book, but in general I thought it was very well done.
As an aside, the DVD's sound quality surprised me...the DD5.1 soundtrack is pretty cool with a lot more LFE than I would have guessed.
------------------
Link Removed

Brian_J

Second Unit
I was thinking of posting a similar one as yours. My reaction to this movie was that while I enjoyed it, I found it to be highly flawed. Damon gives a good performance but Will Smith is just miscast. I think it should have been someone more like Morgan Freeman. The kid was not a very good actor to me for in some parts it seems he is reciting a monologue rather than speaking. Charlize is hot, but her southern accent was a bit irritating. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the golf. The casting of Bobby Jones and Walter Hagan was excellent.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I know very little about this movie. I've never had any desire to see it. I like Matt Damon & Will Smith a lot but just from the impression I've received from previews (young, poor and simple black guy teaches rich successful white guy how golf reflects the true meaning of life) just seems like the kind of movie I just can't get into. I don't even know if this premise is correct and for some reason I don't even want to give it a chance. Am I missing a good film? Maybe. I'm sure I've sat through much worse. I can't explain it. I just don't have any desire to see it, even if it's right there on TV, I flick right by it. It's funny cause I had the same feelings about Tin Cup, but I liked Costner and especially Don Johnson enough to watch the first 15 minutes. Next thing you know I'm telling everybody to check out this movie called Tin Cup, it's great.
For some reason I've always preferred sports movie where the main character or his team loses the big game or the big race at the end of the movie. I have a feeling TLoBV does not fall into that category.
------------------
"A film, by Oleg Razgul"
"How was that?"
"That was great"

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Uncle Remus teaches Golf.....
Careful, Chris, Spike Lee may demand a royalty if you republish his review on the web like that. :)
It's actually a technically well made, leisurely paced, philosophically themed film. Unfortunately, the philosophy is about as deep as a dimple on a golf ball. :) I do not, for the record, share the negative opinions others have expressed about Will Smith's performance. I thought he acquitted himself nicely.
It is noteable if for no other reason than capturing Jack Lemmon's final big-screen performance in his unbilled role in the movie's framing sequences.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Ash Williams

Second Unit
The Legend of Bagger Vance has one of my favorite endings of all time. Spoiler:Jack Lemmon walking off into the sunset after Bagger waves him over I thought it was a great ending to a great man's career, very emotional, like most of Redford's films.
[Edited last by Ash Williams on November 09, 2001 at 04:12 PM]
[Edited last by Chris Dugger on November 09, 2001 at 09:06 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks