what does everyone pay for Satellite Service?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Christ, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

ok - in the market for Satellite (finally)
    what do you guys pay, and for what service?
    1. cost/month
    2. Satellite carrier
    3. local channels?
    4. contract bound? (meaning, did you have to signup for a timeperiod)
    thanks...

2. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

• DishNetwork
    • "Americas Top 100 CD Pkg"
    • "Unbeatable Movie Pkg" Starz & Showtime 12 Channels of Showtime, Starz and Encore
    • $54.00
    * No Contract and do not sub to Locals.
    Cable Sucks !! [​IMG]
    [Edited last by DougRuss on November 17, 2001 at 07:45 AM]

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    A Canadian perspective i.e. Bell ExpressVu.
    My cost per month: about $40 Canadian ($23 US) per month for the Super 7 package (my choice of seven channel packages with between five and ten channels per package) and both French and English Canadian networks. For an extra $12 CAN ($7 US), I can also upgrade to the Ultra 7 package which adds four superstations, "The Movie Network" and "MoviePix" (HBO equivalent). Or I can go all out with the Ultra 12 package which includes the movie channels for $60 CAN ($35 US) per month, about 170 channels in all, many of them very similar or even identical to their American counterparts.
    There's no long term commitment but if you start subscribing and unsubscribing constantly, you will piss them off for being downright annoying. On the flip side, if you don't need the service for a minimum of two weeks, you can have your service temporarily suspended at no extra charge. A great idea when you go on vacation. If you're heading off to the cottage, you can have a satellite setup both at home and at the cottage registered on the same account, again at no extra charge. You can even have multiple receivers on the same subscription, also at no extra charge.
    In Canada, all subscription packages start with the compulsory local channels in your choice of French or English at $10 and $11 respectively, including a few radio stations and the 30 Galaxie commercial free music channels. For an extra two or three bucks ($13 in all), you get both languages. Locals are automatically included with the package deals with the same extra $2 or $3 charge for the second language. This is a sharp contrast over the American service where obtaining local channels is an uphill battle.
    And speaking of American channels, one of the available packages is the American networks, again with no restrictions. For an extra $1, you can get both Eastern and Western feeds. There's even both a dedicated HDTV and downconverted SDTV channel for the American HDTV broadcasts. It's great watching CSI in widescreen! And I can watch it at midnight if I miss the 9 PM broadcast.
    Overall, I'm very happy with Bell ExpressVu. I'll be sticking with the Super 7 package for the time being since that's just right for the type of channel packages I want to keep. As for The Movie Network, they'll have to add a lot more widescreen content before I even consider adding them to my subscription. Right now, pan & scan is just too painful especially for movies originally filmed in 2.35:1.
    ------------------
    The Milnoc
    News, Views, DVD Reviews.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Dish:
    America's Everything package - 69.99
    Additional receiver - 4.99
    tax - 5.28
    total - 80.26
    No locals available but there is no PVR charge either.
    I was under a one year contract with a minimum monthly subscription of $39.99 to be able to get my HD6000 at an introductory price.
    -Robert
    [Edited last by Robert_J on November 17, 2001 at 01:50 PM]

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    DishNetworks "AtHome" plan for America's Top 150, no premium packages and no local channels:
    $57 per month, including the second receiver fee.
    Since it's a rental, I am bound for 12 months at that price, after which I can select any plan I wish. but the Dish PVR 501 and the 301 were free and installed free.
    Jay

6. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Here's another perspective: Knology Cable (analog), ~60 channels, ~$26/month, no premiums, no fee for extra TV's. I had DirecTV for a month, but the picture quality was not up to par, and was unwatchable on low-priority channels, like Speedvision.

7. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Directv-
    Total Choice = $31.99
    MLB Extra Innings = $149.99 per year / averages $12.50 a month throughout a year.
    NBA League Pass === $179.99 per year / averages $15.00 a month thoughout a year.
    So I guess
    -Total Choice, $32.00
    -MLB Ext Innings $12.50
    -NBA League Pass $15.00
    total= $59.50 per month avg.

8. Todd Christ

great feedback!

so guys... convince me! everyone has told me that a Dish would be "cheaper" than cable.....

here's what i have now:

All local broadcast channels, Basic service, and expanded basic channels like ESPN, CNN, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, The Weather Channel, USA Network, TBS, TNT, American Movie Classics. $34.95/month

add on the Disney Channel $12.95/month

add tax/remote, etc all for $49.50/month

i realize the quality differences, but i'm in a money saving mode right now... (i really miss HBO)

are there any plans out there that can meet my needs?

i've been browsing for quite some time, and it seems that every "pay" channel usually puts the cost over the top of what i'm paying now...

9. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

10. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

$93.88/month

On my bill its listed as:

84.99 : DishPVR Plan w/ America's Everything Pack 2 receivers

7.99 : Dishnet Local Package

0.90 : Tax

This DishPVR plan allows me to basically lease the two receivers I have. I had to agree to a 1 year commitment, but got a 501 and 301 receiver with no money up front, and free installation. The Everything Pack includes all premium channels and all other channels but specialty ones (spanish, foreign language, exotic, etc)

If I had to get the same programming for equipment I already owned, I'd have to pay $7.02 less each month:

69.99 : Everything pack

4.99 : Locals

1.00 : PBS National

4.99 : Superstations

4.99 : Extra receiver fee

By leasing my PVR's, I'm paying $7 more each month, or $84/year. I hope to replace my system at the end of this first year with the latest equipment, so I think I generally came out ahead with the lease option than I would if I'd purchased the product and then tried to sell it back later.

11. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

DirecTV

DirecTV with Tivo $41.99 ($31.99 + $10.00 - Tivo)

Mirror Fee (2nd Tivo) $ 4.99

Local Channels $ 5.99

$51.98

My brother who watches very little TV...

UltimateTV $10.00

Local Channels $ 5.99

HBO only $12.00

$24.99

No contract here....

Jim

12. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I'm currently subscribing to DirecTv with Total Choice Starz/HBO + Family Pack, 2 national Fox feeds, & the national PBS feed.

I counted 115 channels (21 of which are premium movie channels), plus 31 music-only channels, plus 5 interactive Wink channels. So, that's 151 channels & I pay $62 per month with no contract. There is a discount if you pay annually, though. I also frequently change my programming over the phone, & they get it done in less than 30 minutes always with no fee for the change.

My local cable company is a small one, & they charge $28 for less than 35 channels(!), plus an astounding $14.95 per single premium movie channel.

-Dan B

13. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

1) I pay $31.97 which is $22.99(basic) + $4.99(2nd receiver) +$4.99(3rd receiver). If someone can tell me a good way to avoid the cost for the 2nd & 3rd receivers,(outside the obvious, of course), I'd appreciate it.

2) Direct TV

3) I get locals via OTA

4) No contract

14. Todd Christ

so... with the 2nd (and 3rd reciever in your case) can't you just "unplug" the phoneline from them if you don't want to get PayPerView on them? that way you just recieve and not have to send data...

is that how they count them?

15. Todd Christ

anyone? i'm not talking anything here - anyway, is it possible to run the box without the phoneline? do they charge per phoneline? or by unit?

i've never ordered PPV stuff even on cable, why start now?

16. Todd Christ

this is the right forum - correct?

17. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

The phone line connected to the receiver is only to order PPV via the menu interface. Without the phone line you can still call them to order PPV.

18. Todd Christ

cool thanks! just learnin [​IMG]
    so anyone else have any really good prices on DBS service?

19. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Yes, you can unplug the phone line. But this doesn't mean you can skip the $4.99 a month. DirecTV (and Dish) need to activate your access card for the box to decode the signals. The pirate boxes work by bypassing the access card, not the phone line.

20. Mike Mallory

Mike Mallory Agent

I see that most people know this but remember... all those 100 channel packages that look so appealing include about 30% music channels, leaving you with about 70 TV channels. And if you don't watch the religious channels or the home shopping channels or the foreign language channels, even less. And those ultra-sweet deals usually leave you with no way to play those music channels without having the TV on. A major flaw.

Am I against sat TV? No way! I am a major fan. I love it! But I think everyone should be more honest about what to expect. That's all.

- Mike