What's new

What does DVD layer chage look like? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
What does the layer change look like when playing a DVD? I recently got a Pan. CP72 and am just curious. I haven't used it much yet so don't think I've ever seen one.

BrianGC

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
You can see the picture freeze for a second, I always mention it to my wife but she never notices.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the picture freezes and the audio goes silent for like a second

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I am always curious about this. If I was a motion picture dude responsible for transferring a picture to DVD, and if I knew there was going to be a layer change, I would (if possible...) orchestrate things so that the layer change occurred in a "quiet" portion of the film. But this isn't what I've seen... :rolleyes

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
From what I've read, there's a very narrow window of opportunity for the layer change. Obviously this depends on how many other extras there are on a particular DVD, the video and audio bitrate and so forth. But once the extras and audio tracks have been decided upon, there's only so much wiggle room, maybe a minute or two one way or another, where the layer change can go.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ken- I hear you, but I would think it's kind of like a hard drive: I can move stuff around to in front of the movie or behind it it, until I can get the layer change to be where I want it. But maybe not...

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Layer changes became seamless when I started using an X Box as my primary DVD player. If Microsoft can do it in a $200 machine why can't everyone else?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
The X-Box has a hard drive. So you can either put a hard drive in every DVD player just to handle layer changes or do like Denon and put a large buffer (not an HD, but some type of memory) in there. What I dont understand, is with the cheap prices of memory, (RAM, memory cards for digital cameras, small "pocket drives" that are little more than a USB plug with some memory in there and are smaller than a pack of gum, etc) how come all DVD players dont have a large buffer. Actually, my bigger beef (not to thread-jack) is how come there is exactly 1 DVD player on the market that scales non-anamorphic content to 16:9 (the Panasonic RP-91)?!

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Don't forget that if Microsoft was selling the Xbox to make a profit on the hardware alone it would probably cost $400-$500. So no wonder it does some things better than a standalone $200 DVD player.

Mark

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This may be besides the point, but surely the Xbox doesn't use its hard drive to buffer DVD playback. I'd think it has plenty of RAM available for that purpose.

RE: players that scale, well, there are more than just one, but none of them are particularly great for one reason or another. If only Philips would address this issue for the 963sa...

_Man_

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
What other players do this, and what are the "issues" that would make them not great. Whats wrong with the 963sa? Does it have the ability to do this but it isnt implemented?

EDIT: I'm loosly following the 60 page thread over at AVS (as much as one can follow a 60 page thread when they only found it after it was already 40 some pages long) and I saw your name over there. What is it about this player that's creating all the problems. It sounds like a great hardware package but Philips botched the software/implementation.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Charles,

Check this thread about the 963sa for the scaling issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=963sa

The 963sa has a few other issues, including the vertical shift problem, the angle icon problem and bass management issue for 2-channel CD/SACD. If they only fix the scaling and vertical shift, then this would indeed be an awesome all-around player (minus the DVD-A of course).

For other players that can scale, see this current thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=132384

Sorry for the thread-jacking...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks