what does DVC's gain you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt Park, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Just curious. The Shiva's and some other sub drivers are DVC, but the Titanics are SVC. What are the pro's cons of DVC over SVC?

2. There are only two advantages. I will explain by example
    you have a shiva with dual 8ohm coils but you want to power it off of an old reciever that can only handble 8 ohm loads. you can power each coil indivicually with each stereo channel.
    OR lets say you have 3 shivas you want to power with a single plate amp. You wire each driver with voice coils in series for 16ohms each. Then you parallel them for a 5.3ohm load. This is stable and the most efficient on the amp for the given drivers.
    RDO=Resistively damped operation. This is mainly used with infinate baffles. It lets you "tune" the Qtc of the driver
    http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/rdo_operation.htm

3. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

I doubt that it's the main advantage, but Dual Voice Coils give you some flexibility in wiring. A lot of people wire the DVC's together for a 4ohm load to be compatible with many sub plate amps. Me, I'm using one channel to each coil from an old stereo amp rated at 8ohms. At 100x2, that gives me 200 watts into a Tempest, which I hope will be OK to drive it in my sonotube once I get it finished.

Other design experts will probably be able to give you the real reason.

JKS

4. Walt Park

Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks for that info Anthony.

5. Walt Park

Jeremy: if you wanted 4 ohm, wouldnt you just pick a 4 ohm driver?

If you use a DVC, and use the L/R from a reciever, and the the signals differ, how does that affect the sound since they are both pushing the same cone? If the same sound is coming on both channels since bass is like that alot of times, and they are off, do you need some kind of phase correction? I've read that biwiring fronts is kinda like that sometimes. Sorry for these newbie questions, but I'm not sure where else I could find this kinda info.

6. Jeremy Stockwell

Walt,

Trust me, I'm a newbie too, so don't bank on anything that I'm saying. Heck, all of this is just theory anyway since I'm not done with my sub yet.

The signals don't differ. I'm just running my sub pre-out from my digital a/v receiver and splitting it to the L/R input on the stereo amp. Then, I just run speaker level wiring to the driver. There shouldn't be any phase issues due to different signals coming from Left and Right since I'm just y-splitting the LFE signal from the digital receiver.

JKS

7. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Also if you run them in parallel the inductance is halved.

8. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Jeremy,
    What parts are you using to build your sub? I'm not trying to get everyone off the subject. Sorry.

9. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Adire has an excellent tech sheet on the benefits of DVC. If you go to their site and check out the white papers you'll see it. In addition to the aforementioned benefits, there are other possibilities for the DVC as well, such as the ability to adjust Qes with a variable potentiometer.

10. Jeremy Stockwell

Shawn,

I'm not sure that I know what you mean.

My digital receiver is a Kenwood VR-507. I'll take the sub pre-out from that, split it (with a Y-adaptor), and connect it to the L/R inputs (probably CD) on the old Pro Logic receiver (Kenwood KR-V7040, circa 1993-4). Then I'll make speaker level connections to the Tempest via a dual-input terminal cup with Left to one VC and right to one VC.

Does that help?

Keep in mind that I'm not done with my enclosure yet, so I can't tell you how it works yet.

JKS