What does "bottoming out" mean?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Vader, May 1, 2006.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    What is the difference between “Bottoming out” a sub, and blowing the driver with too much power? When I explained that I upgraded to a 20-39 PC+ sub from a 16-46 PCi sub due to room size and “bottoming out” concerns, he simply stated that the physical room size should have nothing to do with the sub’s performance. His argument is that when a sub reaches its excursion limits, it should simply drop off, instead of “bottoming out”. Based on everything I have learned from you guys, I knew that room size has a great deal to do with it, but I could not explain why, nor could I explain how “bottoming” a sub relates to it reaching max excursion (physically, what is happening?). I am thinking it has to do with air pressurization as a function of room volume, but that’s just a layman’s guess. Any help would be appreciated! “Tank u veddy much.” (latka gravis-esque)…..[​IMG]

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    While blowing out a speaker involves frying or or melting the voice coil of the driver. Bottoming out the woofer or subwoofer will cause the voice coil to contact the back of the magnet structure. And if I am wrong, someone correct me on this. To my knoweldge only servo controled subs control travel of the driver itself. I think thats the only way the bass would roll of saving the subwoofer. And size of the room does matter, think of a subwoofer as a air pump. Part of creating deep base is the movement of air. If you have more airspace in a room then your sub needs to move more air to creat low bass. It also needs to move more air to creat a higher SPL (Sound Pressure Level).

"My Home Theater Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing."

You have nothing to be ashamed of. Your home theater is very nice!

Cool Laserdisc movies :- )

3. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Derek, those are some cool Star Wars collectibles. [​IMG]

4. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks, guys!