What's new

What does amp clipping or sub bottomming sounds like? (1 Viewer)

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
JoelO,
Depending on the severity of the clipping, amp clipping is hard to hear. Mild clipping is hard to hear unless its material you are very familiar with and notice the slight change in sound. Severe clipping sounds heavily distorted and sometimes crackles.
Sub bottoming is usually very obvious. It will be a loud popping sound. It sometimes sounds like a very loud fart. :) It's usually followed by the phrase "Oh crap, what the heck was that?!?;)
Derrick G

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
Derrick,

Thanks.. I'm pretty convinced that it's my sub bottoming then.

Joel

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
You gotta wonder, what from that description lead JoelO to assume it was his sub? Has he been sitting around saying to himself, what the hell is that farting sound? Man, I hear a really bad fart, but it wasn't me. (to his wife, who is tiring of the question) What it you this time?
Of course, I have bottomed a few subs out, and it never sounded that way. Of course perhaps each person has their own, or maybe it is a geographically altered sound. In any case, when subs bottom out, you will know it. It is not a sound that will ever come from a properly functioning subwoofer.
;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Some people will say they hear a clanking sound, gut from my experience, I hear/feel the fart pops.

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
well.. it all depends on what movie i was playing at that time...
when i was playing the THX intro of TPM and Iron Giant, it was short but real loud muffled PLOP that will knock you out of your seat thinking "oh man I hope my sub didn't blow on me"
when i was playing TS2 intro when the logo came to the screen, it does kinda sound like many many short fart.. plop plop plop plop plop...
when playing the Haunting... it just one short soft fart... plop... :D
Joel

Nick P

Second Unit
If you're hearing a muffled plop instead of a loud clanking noise wouldn't that be the driver "ticking" as in the beginning of but not fully bottoming out?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Toy Story 2 intro will do it. That is one of about 3 DVD's that has bottomed out my PSB subsonic 6.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The "fart noise" is the sub being strained for sure, but I don't think at that point it has "bottomed out" yet. I used to hear that on my old Klipsch in very loud passages. I used to wonder also if that was it until... my 20-39PC bottomed out. Holy Shit.

I you are wondering what it sounds like, then you haven't heard it. When you sub bottoms out, you will know. It nearly gave me a freaking heart attack. Sounded MUCH louder than anything that ever came out of that sub.

I have no clue what clipping sounds like either, though I can hear my amp straining (somehow I am sure it is the amp straining and not the speakers).

--

Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks