What does a 5.1 system do with a 6.1 recording?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Charlie Campisi, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I read through the dts 6.1 vs. dts neo +6 thread and didn't see this covered, likely because my hardware situation is the reverse of having more channels than source material. I have a 5.1 setup powered by a Denon 1804 AVR. The receiver has the ability to decode 6.1 material and drive a 6.1 system, I just haven't gotten around to buying the rear center. I was watching LOTR ROTK over the weekend which has a DD 5.1 track and a DTS 6.1 track. I used the dts track and the denon screen displayed "DTS". Is the rear surround channel played through the side surrounds? Is it lost?

I am going to try to listen to it played both ways, but given: (i) there are probably differences between the DD and DTS tracks anyway and (ii) since I don't have a rear surround I have no way of knowing if I am missing anything, I was hoping someone would have some insight as to what I should be listening for. Thanks.

Ps - Yes, I know buying the rear surround is a solution. [​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No.

M.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

let me see if I can find my thread on this for more elaboration...

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

found it:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...postid=2020171

Basically, you just hear the 5.1 mix, and the 5.1 mix has everything in it, including the info that is also contained on the discrete rider (duplicate for backwards compatibility). All explained ad nauseum in that thread! enjoy! [​IMG]

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Wow. Aside from being a little :b after seeing how recently this was discussed, I am now much better informed on the topic. Thx!