What does $2200 buy you?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Monte Montemayo, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Monte Montemayo

So I've already asked the question about the Panasonic PT-L500U versus a lower cost option (the InFocus X1). Then I thought, I might as well look the other direction too. So I started to research the Benq PE8700+. As an aside, this investment is supposed to last me 10+ years. My current TV is a Mitsubishi 35" Direct View which was a monster TV when I first purchased it in the early 80's. It appears that I can pick up the Benq for about $4000 and the Panasonic for about $1800. Both have the same resolution but the Benq is DLP and the Panny is LCD. Of course the Benq has 150 more lumens, 1200 more contrast (almost double). So I am sitting here wondering, given that I view this as a long term investment, if I should just bite the bullet and get the superior (I assume it’s superior) but more expensive product. Any insights?

2. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

No digital projector will last you 10+ years unless you are immune to the disease of upgraditis. Ten years ago there were no decent digital projectors. Two years ago there were some, now there are many more. But last year's $5K projector is about as as good as this year's $2K.

Rather than spending $4K on the Benq and thinking it will last for ten years, I'd buy the best entry level projector you can and keep rolling it over every year or so. You don't mention if you want HD resolution, but assuming you don't need it that means the InFocus 4805 or Optoma H30. Price is under $1400.

Five years ago the NEC LT100 was seen as a breakthrough at $3K as long as used an outboard scaler. Three years ago the NEC LT150 stomped it at $2K. Two years ago the InFocus X1 was much better at $1.5 (original price).

Now the H30/4805 are way better than the X1. I'm sure in six months they will be superceded too.

So, buy an H30/4805 now. Sell it in a year for the new budget champ. Keep doing that. An expensive PJ will look like a dodo in ten years.

Steve